Investing for the long haul!

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Bluedog, Jan 13, 2007.

1. i have ETF's in a core portfolio. but i do move things around on occasion, and add new money monthly. but i may not put it to work immediately.

here is the mix and target %

bonds (AGG) - 4%
    emerging markets (EEM) - 17%
    international (EFA) - 11%
    domestic value (IWW) - 25%
    domestic growth (IWZ) - 16%
    materials/basics (VAW) - 7%
    reits (VNQ) - 6%
    commodites (GSG) - 7% (recently added)
    currency (DBV) - 7% (recently added)

#21     Aug 28, 2007
  2. Bluedog

Bluedog

great stuff.....

Thanks all :cool:

#22     Aug 28, 2007
  3. Bluedog

Bluedog

Looking to add more investment choices. Single stocks, etf's, funds...for long term investing..

#23     Jun 19, 2008
  4. I would like to invest about $500 to $1000 every month for the long haul!

-------------------------

Ahhh, the long haul. What do we try to do? Outrun inflation? But what of the "what ifs". The bankruptcy, the medical catastrophe, the divorce, the lawsuit.

Suppose an annuitized annuity, everyone says "Oh but you are giving up YOUR money" and the interest rate may be sub par. Is it ever your money? Around the corner are the forementioned events waiting to happen to crack open that nest egg.

Got kids.? Theres another egg maybe more than one out of your retirement, when they have problems and only your money can solve their problem.

Inflation is overrated as the killer of retirement money. Conquer inflation with income and in your retirement years, conquer inflation with the experience and wisdom you have learned over the years. Make better purchases, with intelligence you can repair and innovate. You need less, you want less.

#24     Jun 19, 2008
  5. lindq

lindq

Proshares.

UYG Ultra Financials
    URE Ultra Real Estate

Leveraged funds, long term holds.

#25     Jun 19, 2008
  6. Bluedog

Bluedog

Thank you! Exactly the type of choices I was looking for...

The best performer in my portfolio is CF that I bought at $15 when I started this! Since then it has gone parabolic and as much as I did not want to make any frequent changes I am seriously thinking of selling it maybe tomorrow and rotating the money into several other stocks or funds.

#26     Jun 20, 2008
  7. Bluedog

Bluedog

nutmeg,

Any specific annuitized annuities that you can recommend? I would actually like to learn about them.

#27     Jun 20, 2008
  8. Just yakking, but when you look around at the state of affairs you kinda wonder what cos will be around in 20 - 30 years. I do know this, it is unlikely organized religion will be out of business in my life time. The Catholic church has charitable annuitized annuities. The interest rate should be above current market rates and get a deduction to boot. I'm sure other orgs have financial planners.

Oth, write out what you hope to achieve long term and talk with experienced ins rep from a big co, (pru, etc). You can drive yourself nuts with the minutiae of returns could lead to the inaction. My point being, this is not the only trick in the bag. One idea may have less than stellar returns but you have to consider the whole picture.

#28     Jun 20, 2008
  9. Bluedog

Bluedog

UYG and URE getting more attractive!

#29     Jun 27, 2008
  10. URE is especially getting ripe for a position. If we find that this recession is shallow, and mortgage companies start lending again ... URE could double.

#30     Jun 30, 2008