Investing for high inflation

Discussion in 'Economics' started by misterkel, Mar 29, 2021.

1. ET180

ET180

Real estate makes sense (in the right area). I'd actually like to invest in overseas real estate as an addition hedge, but have not looked into that. Precious metals / precious metal producers. I like food producers (ADM, CAG, MDLZ, and KHC). People gotta eat. Consumer staples should also be an inflation hedge (WMT, PG, CL)...maybe industrials (ETN, HON, EMR).

#21     Mar 29, 2021
    MarkBrown likes this.
  2. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

i was once in the real estate business and it's very hard to liquidate in a down market which is where we are headed, i was deep in real estate in the 80's, i see the same thing happening now.

food is a good bet as well as alcohol and tobacco cause people will buy that when they don't even have money for food. oil is going to do very well for the next 4 years no doubt.

#22     Mar 29, 2021
    murray t turtle, cobco and ET180 like this.
  3. JSOP

JSOP

Invest in real-return bonds.

#23     Mar 30, 2021
  4. Turveyd

Turveyd

Massively in debt, hyper inflation = debts reduced which as long as my pay goes up I'm all good.

1 country, average wage $6 per month for the entire house hold, these days that's enough to buy a burger and a can of pop and there wages haven't adjusted yet, eeccckkk!!

#24     Mar 30, 2021
  5. iprph90

iprph90

What kind of RE? If you had income property and weren't too leveraged, you would have possibly come through ok.

If someone has money to invest today, and can lock in a low IR, why not use RE as a hedge/investment? Especially if expecting inflation, granted prices have gone up considerably in many markets, but inflation is also relatively lower than the 80s

#25     Mar 30, 2021
    murray t turtle likes this.
  6. I think streamers are a better bet, all in all. WPM or FNV.

#26     Mar 30, 2021
    ET180 likes this.
  7. morganist

morganist Guest

You could try Index Linked Gilts. They are linked to official rate of inflation, whether you get protection from the true rate of inflation is a different matter.

#27     Apr 1, 2021
  8. Arnie

Arnie

IMO, one of the advantages of RE is that it forces you to be long. Wth would you sell at a bottom? The Case Shiller Nationwide index is up 5.45% per year over the last 10 years, well ahead of inflation.

#28     Apr 2, 2021
    murray t turtle likes this.
  9. I am just shaking my head that no one has mentioned the obvious one basic investment for inflation protection. Bitcoin. Everyone should have one at least one full BTC tucked away. And, the thing of it is that there is not enough Bitcoin for every millionaire in the world to own one.

#29     Apr 3, 2021
  10. In the current situation it is difficult to escape from inflation.
    Many people are getting rich through imprent money and inflation.

You can try with:
    * Stock Exchange
    * ETFs
    * Gold
    * Bitcoin
    * Land.

P.S.
    Iwouldn'tbuyhouses.

#30     Apr 9, 2021