Investing $15K to earn 3% per week

Discussion in 'Journals' started by PersistentTradr, Jun 16, 2007.

Will PT achieve his goal of 3% per week using $15k of starting capital?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2007.
  1. Yes. 3% per week is definitely doable.

30 vote(s)
    47.6%
  2. Not a chance. He's nuts and doesn't know anything about trading.

33 vote(s)
    52.4%
  1. Pekelo

Pekelo

I have missed the journal and I just realized you were on vacation. I wish you good luck and profitable trading.

One question about position sizing. It seems to me that you are doing fine, so why don't you use bigger leverage? Is it psychological, for your comfort level or is there other reason to it?

#41     Aug 13, 2007
  2. Price broke opening range to the downside so I played a short on the retracement to S1.

+10
    +66

#42     Aug 14, 2007
  3. Hey Pekelo,

Short answer is it's what I'm comfortable with. I trade 1 contract for each $7,500 of equity available in the account. The position size is adjusted as the equity in the account rises and falls. I use $7,500 because it supports my risk per trade amount which is approx. 1% of equity.

Tx for following and posting your question!

PT

#43     Aug 14, 2007
  4. PT,

Admirable stuff, I wish you great success in your journey looks like you are doing great!

Anek

#44     Aug 14, 2007
  5. Hey folks,

I haven't given up yet. It's summer time and I have a full schedule. This week I was with my 7 year old was in golf camp. I can't begin to explain what an advatage he has learning a proper golf swing at such an early age. ie He hasn't had any time to develop bad habits. He can consistently hit the 100yd mark with his 9 iron and the 150yd mark with his 1 wood now. Although the ball doesn't always make it in the air, it goes STRAIGHT!

So jealous am I!

Anyways....

Things should be back to normal this week.

#45     Aug 20, 2007
  6. Choppy morning. Didn't hit the pivot until the deadzone. I honestly thought the market was going down. Red heikin ashi bars printed, volume to the downside seemed high, and my DualMACD MAs were beginning to cross. But, price opened and managed to stay above the daily pivot so I just sat and waited.

When it broke to the upside I didn't trust it. But, it is what it is:
    * Pivot held
    * Blue bars printed
    * Dual MACD crossed above 0
    * Upside volume picked up.

Go long.

+10
    +91

#46     Aug 20, 2007
  7. mde2004

mde2004

Hang in there, no blow up so far.

#47     Aug 20, 2007
  8. PT,

You riding those winners beautifully. Keep up the good trading.

Anek

#48     Aug 20, 2007
  9. Quote from PersistentTradr:

Choppy morning. Didn't hit the pivot until the deadzone. I honestly thought the market was going down. Red heikin ashi bars printed, volume to the downside seemed high, and my DualMACD MAs were beginning to cross. But, price opened and managed to stay above the daily pivot so I just sat and waited.

When it broke to the upside I didn't trust it. But, it is what it is:
    * Pivot held
    * Blue bars printed
    * Dual MACD crossed above 0
    * Upside volume picked up.

Go long.

+10
    +91

Hello,

This is a very good example of maintaining your discipline. Though emotionally you didn't trust it, psychologically you were disciplined enough to trust your setup and take the trade. This provided you with a very good risk/reward setup and rewarded it with a nice winning trade. This characteristic along with hard stops, proper position sizing, and knowing your weaknesses, are what separate the successful traders from the unsuccessful.

Maintain your discipline, and your focus. Though it may appear that you shy of your goal on a weekly basis, use a weekly average. Then exceptional weeks will pull up the less than stellar ones, and your goal can be accomplished. However should it not be, don't be discouraged. It is better to aim high and fall short, than to have no aim at all.

Continued success in your endeavor, and with your sons golf.

Good Trading and God Bless!

Kelly

#49     Aug 20, 2007
  10. Very doable. Keep at it mate!

The people who talk about 3% per month are like myself that probably trade stocks/options and/or manage money and are happy with 3% monthly consistent returns. Futures and trading your own account is much different. The guys i "know" who've spent years perfecting their mini trading have 20-30 point days (ES) at times and at least a handful on most days. Of course some days they eat shit like everyone else eh. But it looks like you have a "sound" discipline although i had little time to read the entire thread. Anyway, my point is listen to yourself and not much else--perhaps the people that have gone through it. Study, refine, and execute--your only job if you are serious about your goals.

#50     Aug 20, 2007