Inversion table questions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by r-in, Apr 4, 2012.

1. r-in

r-in

Anyone use an inversion table? I have been debating buying one to see if it would help decompress my vertebrae, if that is even possible. My back is constantly cracking, my neck bothers me regularly, not horribly, but annoying, and I would like to find something to help. My back sounds like a xylophone going up and down the scale when I'm doing planks.
    I don't know if it is related or just age, but I have lost 1.5 inches in height all ready, and I am 47. That seems kind of young to be losing that much height, which again brings me back to my back and vertebrae.
    Yea, I know talk to a doctor, I hate going in. I all ready had a physical this year, and forgot to ask. I ended up having to go to a cancer doctor and have buttloads of tests because of my lab results. I told the primary and the cancer doc that the results have been the same ever since I started having tests, and they are just my norms, and I don't happen to fall in the normal ranges. Well, after all the tests and almost a $800 out of my pocket, after insurance, they gave the same answer. I guess they had to check, but I told them I wanted a refund since I told them the answer at the start. They laughed, I didn't.
    Anyway, topic was inversion table and peoples 2 cents on value or no value.
    Thanks

2. I had a very bad back twice and its well now. First time was from playing golf and the second time from when I crushed a vertebrae (you lose height when you do that.)

The solution in both cases was just doing sit ups. Try it.

3. i went from 5'7" to 5'11" in 3 yrs inverting. i figure I'll be 6'4" in another ten years!

4. r-in

r-in

Yea, I know by now to expect turd responses noballs.
    Was actually hoping someone had something of value. Just giving the facts, and would like some input from experience. Not sorry if that offends you lackofballs. Fucking idiot, oops sorry.

5. you know by now...LOL what's that mean haha:D

6. r-in

r-in

yea, lets see 2003, 1067 posts, 2012, 850 posts. I have more faith in Elite than turd responses, but annoying none the less.

7. I have a bad lower back that goes out about once a year or so. It went out real bad a few years back and a buddy brought over his reversion table. Damn it almost killed me, terrible pain and I couldn't walk upright for a few days.
    It might be ok as a preventive measure. I would recommend starting out slowly on the slope, I went all the way upside down and I'd never done that before.
    Well that's my experience.

8. I have never used an inversion table but it cannot hurt to use it in addition to spinal exercises.
    I would discuss using it with your Dr. before you start any exercises.

You must strengthen the spinal extensors ( Erector Spinae Muscle group ) for an upright and healthy posture also to help relieve back pain.
    These muscles are responsible for spinal extension.( standing upright and seated tall in a chair).
    They will keep the vertebrae supported and help maintain a balance in the spine.
    These muscles cannot be weakened or it will lead to spinal flexion and disc bulges.
    This is also where height can appear to reduce as the spine curls over forward. Strengthening the erector spinae can help reduce the flexion and shortened look in height by straightening out the spine to the correct alignment, as long as there is not a disease causing the spinal flexion as in bone loss or muscle disorder.
    A must is strengthening the abdominal muscles as well. They support the spine by pressing the internal fluid ball ( organs ) up against the spine and stabilize it... also the strengthened abdominal muscles will tilt the hip in a correct alignment helping to improve the spinal health.

Get to know the Erector Spinae Muscle group

[​IMG]

From link below :

The erector spinae (sometimes known as sacrospinalis) is often described as a group of different muscles called iliocostalis, longissimus and spinalis.

This is the musculature I’m expecting you to contract and maintain when you’re told to engage your back and tighten up. These are also the muscles that get sore and cramp up when you hold your starting position for the deadlift. If your erector spinae are sore, you’ve stayed tight. Good job.

A strong set of erector spinae vs a weak abdominal muscles is a recipe for hyperextension of the lumbar spine. When abdominal strength/endurance is not adequate to counter the pull of the antagonist Erector Spinae under load, these low back muscles become situated in a mechanical disadvantage further placing additional stresses on these very same low back muscles.

It’s essential to your training to learn to activate and maintain the contraction of these muscles. Not doing so will lead to injury. Not maybe, it will.

http://dynorock.wordpress.com/2011/01/25/anatomy-and-physiology-erector-spinae/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erector_spinae_muscles

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    At home Exercises

You can pick up elastic bands for an at home workout to strengthen the spine and total body.
    Use this site for exercise charts, videos, and even to make purchases.
    I am not affiliated in any way with the site. They are very good at what they do and their products are quality.

http://www.bodylastics.com/
    http://www.bodylastics.com/back/

All the very best to you in you back health.

9. lescor

lescor

If you are going to invest in something to help rehab your back, I'd seriously look at a machine called a 'reverse hyper'. It's kind of like doing back extensions, but not really. The spine isn't in compression and it elongates the structures as well. Do some research, start at westsidebarbell.com. The guy that runs that gym invented it and has a lot of good info on its use and why it works. They sell some pricey ones, but you can get them cheaper. Even seen some decent home made ones. A lot of people say it has cured all kinds of back issues.

10. nursebee

nursebee

I had an inversion table and enjoyed it for a while. I am very tall, suspect that the world was not designed for me and had a lot of back problems near right shoulder blade and sometimes low back. I found that inversion did help with cerebral blood flow, foot pain after a long day, and a general sense of stretching out my back. I have kept a full compliment of back lotions and potions for many years.

The most effective thing I have experienced for my back discomfort has been more exercise, the harder and more vigourous the better. I enjoy a good free weight workout, but had to be careful on the squats.

My current regimen includes only karate. Lots of stretching, pushups, ab and back exercises, and so much more. The only time I use Tiger Balm is when I sleep funny and my neck hurts.

I sold the inversion table...

#10     Apr 5, 2012