intuition

Discussion in 'Trading' started by sabena, May 18, 2002.

1. sabena

sabena

Another example ;

When Diego Maradonna is playing, he is playing
    on his "feeling" , every moment he is not
    logical, conscious thinking about what moves
    to make.

I have also played football and the moment
    I came in a certain state of mind,when I just
    played on my feeling, I played at my best.

I have a similar experience when I trade.

#21     May 19, 2002
  2. nitro

nitro

My pleasure.

At the heart of the argument that you are interested in is:

"We now know that it is not possible to determine whether a program halts at infinity or continues after it gets there. Adding more axioms will not ultimately clarify the distinction. Penrose correctly states that non-deterministic programs do not enlarge the domain of computability. From those facts, Penrose concludes that mathematicians must use non-computable methods to reach verifiably true statements."

The weaving of Godel, Turing, etc. is very pretty. He is known to have made some "elementary" mathematical mistakes in his reasoning, but many have looked beyond that.

nitro

#22     May 19, 2002
  3. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

it's a fact that the right brain (well, the so called right brain) is more powerful.
    the issue is you train that part with a lot of experience, trial and error as well as money losing.
    it can only be done that way : practice, practice, practice.

the problem : if you train your right brain with stupid methods, you will be very succesful at trading stupid methods (and lose it all).

that's where the left brain (so called) comes in. by studying, and building a method from a logic standpoint (lot of research or adopting a known method) will you be able to train for that method and get the intuition working.

intuition is about knowing the exceptions, not the rules.

the rules you know from the logic.

and please guys, don't trade on intuition before you can make money without it.
    the intuition path, for the beginner, is the path of the lazy and usually the loser.

the intuition path, for the experienced, is the path to the big money.

tntneo

#23     May 19, 2002
  4. sabena

sabena

Tntneo,

I couldn't have said it better....!

#24     May 19, 2002
  5. Kymar

Kymar

#25     May 19, 2002
  6. Banjo

Banjo

If the sum of all of ones trading experience and knowledge equals ones intuition , a logical progression,in any given moment one would have to know everything about that moment to posess flawless intuition. That not being possible our intuition ,after much experience ,does many times inform us before the mechanics of the market send their signals. The trap is that intuition is a hybrid mix of our intellectual instrument and our emotional instrument, a derivative of sorts that we have very little experience with. The emotional side of the equation contains the bugaboo, desire. If there is risk, money on the table, fear or greed will dominate the emotional instrument therby distorting intuition.
    Intuition will always be a subject for debate as it is so beautifully indifinable and blares the siren call of the potential of something we all posess and hope to develope that it may ease our way. It is probably as well developed in a trader after five or so years as it ever will be.The market characteristics will change at least that often forcing changes in a traders interpertations of his perceptions.

#26     May 19, 2002
  7. "I've taken far too many hits as a result of weakly considered trades to urge novices to try to trade intuitively. "

If you do not use an 100% mechanical trading system, then discretion plays a big part in your trades. What is discretion if it is not intuition? Intuition, imo, only comes from extensive experience. Most aspirants cannot survive this learning curve.

#27     May 19, 2002

8. I guess that's why he retired as a washed out, overweight druggie.
    BTW, how's your Chinese friend Fang?

#28     May 19, 2002
  9. Commisso

Commisso Guest

You guys are extremely amusing :)

"The tao that can be spoken of,
    is not the absolute tao"
    Lao Tzu

PEACE and good trading,
    Commisso

#29     May 19, 2002
  10. Kymar

Kymar

Well, as a linguist once famously said, the definition of a word is another word. Or as Alice asked (maybe someone has the exact wording), "Why doesn't it mean what I want it to mean?"

In these discussions, "system" or "mechanical" suggests a completely rule-based approach, which, once adopted, reduces reduces elements of "real-time" judgment or intuition to the absolute minimum; "discretionary" probably means "systematic but with elements of intuition or judgment"; and "intuitive" probably suggests "just do it!" or maybe some Zen-ish or reflexive pattern recognition-involved feeling...

In the first instance, I imagine the trader puttering around or running tests or doing "real work" while waiting for a beep from the SYSTEM. In the second, I imagine Linda Bradford Raschke glancing from TICK to 5-minute chart and making out what looks like a bull flag to her and buying a breakout. In the third, I imagine Luke Skytrader browsing through charts, focusing here, there, or anywhere, zapping a bottom, zapping a top, making money like crazy... or not...

#30     May 19, 2002