intuition

Discussion in 'Trading' started by sabena, May 18, 2002.

1. "Sabena is 100% hypothetical." TM

#11     May 18, 2002
  2. nitro

nitro

Sabena,

This is a subject dear to my heart. I shall consider what you are saying and get back to you when I have given it some thought.

nitro

#12     May 19, 2002
  3. Babak

Babak

Actually it was not Tharp but Basso quoted in Tharp's book. And if I may remind you of another important detail, he said that he would not trade this way. Entry is important because once you reject random entries, you may search for and find an entry technique that is better than random. Thereby increasing your success.

#13     May 19, 2002
  4. Try selling that logic to an arbitrage trader ...

#14     May 19, 2002
  5. I wonder if I can combine this all with MurryMath?
    :p

#15     May 19, 2002
  6. Kymar

Kymar

My intuition tells me that "several hundred thousand times more powerful" is a bit of a leap.

The other (pathetically weak?) side of my mind tells me that such a quantitative comparison is rather meaningless. What defines or could possibly define power in such an equation? That if logic can solve one problem per second, intuition can solve several hundred thousand? If logic can earn me a dollar a day, intuition can earn me several hundred thousand?

Maybe the answers to those and like questions are yes, and yes, and yes. My logical mind, as confirmed by my intuitive mind, still tells me that for many people the attempt to trade by intuition will fairly quickly turn into emotionalistic guessing.

My experience tells me that emotionalistic guessing doesn't really work particularly well in trading.

#16     May 19, 2002
  7. nitro

nitro

You guys are treating the subject matter as a joke, and yet it is no joke! I do not know if you have issue with Sabena (Is he the guy with the Larry Williams challenge?) but what he speaks of now is at the heart of the research being done (granted, on the edge) by some.

Kymar, I recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...1821545/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_2/002-0759529-2033667

or

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...1821572/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_2/002-0759529-2033667

These deal with issues much broader than "intuition," but you can skip those parts on a first reading.

nitro

#17     May 19, 2002
  8. sabena

sabena

Just have a talk with Adrienne at www.trading
    ontarget.com.

She has worked with a lot of traders and
    the conviction of someone with that amount
    of experience is of much more value to me
    than the first the best Joe who is posting
    his expression on this board.

#18     May 19, 2002
  9. sabena

sabena

Nitro,

Well, this escaped to my attention.
    "Shadows of the mind" by Roger Penrose.

Roger Penrose, worked together with
    that other brilliant mind Stephen Hawking,
    the "present" Albert Einstein.

Thanks for the link !

#19     May 19, 2002
  10. alain

alain

I might add my opinion to this..

we have to learn trading logically and emotionally. The logical part can be learned partly out of books and from other people. The emotional part can only be learned through experience. When our brain adopted the function of the markets in the logical and the emotional way and combines those two elements - then the intuitive trader is born. The trader can feel if a trade is going to develop good or bad in advance... he would say "I have a feeling for that" because the right part of the brain has learned what trading is all about.
    It's all theory.. but it helps a lot to know that while in the process of learning to trade.

It's just like driving a car.. at the beginning very difficult and after years something you do without any stress. I don't mean trading i easier than driving.. but it's a similar process. while driving is a much shorter and much more painless process.

alain

#20     May 19, 2002