Introduction to Countertrend System

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Willleung, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Check this thread. I'm not sure if this system stil works or not but the examples were real-time.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20761

#11     Jul 1, 2006
  2. laputa

laputa

Will Leung?

Is that you Lo Yam?

#12     Jul 5, 2006
  3. MGJ

MGJ

Jack Schwager's very first book contains a section (within chapter 27) called COUNTER-TREND SYSTEMS. You might recognize Jack's name, he also wrote the popular series of Market Wizards books. The section includes the following wonderful passage: A critical distinction to keep in mind is that whereas a trend-following system is basically self-correcting, a counter-trend system implies unlimited losses. Therefore, it is essential to include some stop conditions in any counter-trend system.

Schwager discusses a number of counter-trend systems, including
    • Fading minimum move
    • Fading minimum move with confirmation delay
    • Oscillators
    • Cycles
    • Contrary opinion
    I enjoyed the book very much.

#13     Jul 5, 2006
  4. Hi All,

Stop a moment and take a deep breath before rambling on. In order to trade "Countertrend, don't you have to KNOW the TREND?

Many poor souls at ET seem to have a serious problem with trend gazing. Simply look at the last 10 odd threads on the subject.

Shouldn't this countertrend thread point out that it can only be of use for those capable of finding the trend.

The Trend is your Friend;
    The Countertrend is also your friend.
    :D

#14     Jul 5, 2006

5. Price went up to $32. Screw that.

#15     Jul 6, 2006
  6. prasxz

prasxz

Hi Will,

Have you try for WMA Cross for Index (Nikkei,Kospi,Hangseng)
    it's very simple system and profitable..my friend did....

Cheers,

Prasxz

#16     Jul 7, 2006
  7. You make a very good point nononsense.

Much is made of the word trend, but before a trader can throw such a word around with gay abandon he/she must first define a TF (time frame) in which the trend forms.

Now the fun begins.
    Either you will become a BO boy (breakout) and your risk will lie spread across the range or you will become a fader and your risk will be reduced significantly, but your skill level will need to be proportionately higher.
    I suspect that the author of this thread is enquiring about fading when refering to counter trend trading, simply because countering the trend without reference to a TF can only result in tears.

#17     Jul 7, 2006