Introducing...XTrainer

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by XTrainer, Mar 10, 2007.

1. XTrainer

XTrainer

(I assuming this is a good section for an intro thread. If not, I apologize).

Well, I basically know nothing about investing and just want to learn more. It's about that simple.

About me? I'm into mixed martial arts and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, weightlifting, stuff like that. I'm a bit of a health nut, also a hunter and fisherman.

I look forward to working with y'all.

2. Welcome!
    Im sure you will find, its much better than , say, talkgold or similiar:D

So, what have you picked up so far?:)

3. XTrainer

XTrainer

I know enough to know that I don't know much :)

4. I watch a lot of UFC and I was wondering, what is the difference in Brazilian jui-jitsu and other forms?

5. XTrainer

XTrainer

By "other forms" you mean "other forms of jiu-jitsu," right?

The terms "Brazilian Jiu-jitsu (BJJ)" and "Gracie Jiu-jitsu (GJJ)" are basically synonomous. BJJ is a term used to differentiate the style of BJJ from Japanese Jiu-jitsu.

Japanese Jiu-jitsu (JJJ) was a predecessor of BJJ (actually it was the predecessor of many martial arts, but I digress). JJJ has many of the same techniques and principles as BJJ. I'll compare them for you:

Shared Traits:

Focus on grappling and holding techniques (Throws, takedowns, joint locks, chokesm pins, etc).
    Using opponent's energy and leverage against him.
    Typically trained while wearing the "gi" or "kimono"

JJJ-Exclusive Traits:
    Typically NO sport application
    MORE emphasis on striking techniques
    MORE responsive techniques (You do this, so I do this)
    LESS freestyle sparring
    Rarely trained without the gi
    OFTEN traditional/Some instructors oppose change

BJJ-Exclusive Traits:
    MAJOR sport application
    VERY LITTLE emphasis on striking
    LOTS of freestyle sparring (we call it "rolling")
    OFTEN trained without the gi
    Very NON-traditional/constantly evolving

The most significant differences between BJJ and JJJ are the training methods. BJJ tends to favor very "live" training methods. This allows us to know how it feels to throw someone and get thrown, choke someone and get choked, which makes our training more applicable to a street situation or competition.

JJJ guys tend to favor more "static" training. This allows them to train more dangerous techniques, such as striking the groin or eyes, manipulating small joints, or performing other techniques too dangerous to practice against an actively resisting partner.

Which is better? LOL, the argument will probably never end. BJJ guys are very competent at what they do, but there arsenal is more limited in scope than JJJ guys. JJJ guys have all the striking and "dirty" techniques, but may not be able to apply them in a combat situation because of their frequent lack of live training methods.

I also train in Combat Hapkido, which is extremely similar to JJJ. I prefer the BJJ philosophy, but I can certainly see the JJJ side's point. The best place to be, IMO, is somewhere in the middle.

Geez, sorry about the length, got a little carried away. I love answering questions like this though. Anyone have any more? :D

6. Always wanted to look into sambo, it sounds good.
    If i was going to learn something now, id want to get into staff and double stick, but theres remarkably few places that run classes-kali doesnt have much of a staff component either, from what i gather, but stickfighting is a barrel of fun.

Did some freestyle karate for a while, but the ridiculousness of the formality got to me-the guy who put the style together wasnt japanese, none of the class were japanese, and the style emphasised few traditional components.
    So why did we have to use japanese words, wear a gi, and do all this japanese dojo etiquette??
    That always bugged me.

7. XTrainer

XTrainer

Yeah, bad experiences in the arts are a dime a dozen. I wish everyone was as lucky as I was in that regard.

8. Hey, i didnt mean to be all negative on the matter, i would recommend virtually any martial art, to virtually anyone, just saying that aspect of it irritated me, personally, overall it was great .

I just wish, in the backwater i lived in, that more clubs/dojos/styles might have been available at the time.

Recently, ive found stick & staff fighting to be something im actually good at and find fun, yet no particular school teaches it, as far as i know.
    Medievil clubs do some staff work, but kali double stick , with the disarms, locks and throws isnt exactly integral, and visa versa.

If anyone knows of a style that concentrates on this kind of work, let me know, because that would be great!!

As the late grandmaster, Wakki Kaiboshe said,

"Give me an oak staff, and i can show you 1000 ways with which i can belt you with it.

That is, if your dumb enough to give me an oak staff, because, you know, really, thats just asking for trouble."

:D

9. XTrainer

XTrainer

I didn't think you were being negative, you just observed a sad truth about the state of martial arts training.

I also feel your pain about the lack of style variety available (unless you happen to live in a big city). Again, I really lucked out with my school. It's about the only one that teaches any style I would like within a half hour.

As far as sticks and staves, well, you're right, all of the Philipino arts (kali, arnis, etc.) are great as far as sticks, and lots of karate styles teach staff. However, most karate schools teach forms/katas with the staff, rather than beating people. Medieval staff would be the way to go, but there's probably a half-dozen reputable schools in the whole country for that. :( Have you gone on to thearma.org and looked for a study group near you?

Wish I could help more.

10. There is an arma group around, sounds like my kind of thing, wouldnt it be great to actually have a combined philipino arts/jogo do pau/fencing(stick, sword, dagger etc) group-obviously with mma/bjj etc optional, on an informal basis.
    You know, no belts, no grading, no bowing, just learn and practice.

Kinda surprising no-ones done that, (i dont think they have?) but people tend to be sooooo protective of their styles and techniques, maybe its not so surprising after all..........

Recall a story from a guy, who turned up to his arnis class, only to find no other students were there........it was a dark and stormy night............and his instructor, a pissed off kind of guy to begin with, had had a very bad day....and was even more pissed off than usual when only one student turned up.

Cut a long story short, he spent 2-3 hours or something being pulverised by a pissed off former commando filipine martial arts expert.
    The result though, was that he went from an average try hard student, to actually being able to use the stuff, very proficiently, practically overnight, a 500% improvement. Which goes to the effectivness of intensive training, even in something like arnis, which is very practical and hands on to begin with.

Now, at the moment, that is NOT the kind of training i would be looking for:D

#10     Mar 14, 2007