Introducing an easy to use all in one Options Strategy Analysis tool - TheOptions Lab

Discussion in 'Options' started by pengw, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Ok this line is confusing. Is there an installable stand alone version of this tool? The only thing I see is a web based interface which means you have to be online to access it.

#11     Jul 26, 2009
  2. pengw

pengw

If you are already on the site, then disconnect from the Internet, the Online tab won't work, which means you won't get any quote, but you can still use every features in the Options Lab, you just have to enter values by hand in the Offline tab.
    Rest of them work the same.

#12     Jul 26, 2009
  3. Ahh I didn't even think about disconnecting from the internet. I can't imagine being a trader and using dial-up though, but at least now I understand what you meant. Not a bad tool by the way.

#13     Jul 26, 2009
  4. pengw

pengw

The reason we have Offline tab is that we are also using the Lab for other kinds of options such FX options, FOP options and Interest rate options where data is not always available or ticker is not clearly defined. Actually Offline tab is used far more often than Online tab when we give a demo. Online tab always require a stock ticker while Offline tab just takes about anything. Many classes always choose Offline tab to teach students.

Thanks

#14     Jul 26, 2009
  5. Yeah that makes sense as well.

#15     Jul 26, 2009
  6. pengw

pengw

To use Options Lab for Canadian stocks, just attach .to to the end of the ticker. So if the ticker is aaa, then use aaa.to.
    Same for any stocks from other countries.

We also added the Quick Tour menu and updated User Guide menu for more instruction on how to use it.

Some quite useful functions are the Exp, and QuickGain and QuickLoss.

If you edit the four legs for any reasons such as change lots from 1 ( default ) to 100, make sure you click on the refresh button.

#16     Jul 31, 2009
  7. erol

erol

hey,

thanks for that info (Canadian ticket)

but I can't put more than 4 characters in the symbol field

so ".to" takes up 3

which leaves me with SYMBOL.T

which yahoo won't recognize :(

#17     Aug 1, 2009
  8. pengw

pengw

Can you tell me which ticker that you are using ?

Please refresh your browser and try again , it should take more than 4 letters now.

Thanks,

#18     Aug 1, 2009
  9. erol

erol

Hey,

thanks for the help!

i tried it and it takes the symbol now.

SC.TO

for some reason though, the numbers are still not showing up for me.

edit:

you may need more capacity for the symbol field, I tried

COS.UN.TO (Canadian Oil sands trust) and that is just 1 character shy of fitting.

#19     Aug 1, 2009
  10. pengw

pengw

I just checked with our data provider, the current package only covers Canadian stocks, not options. Th price we paid will be much different if we also want to include options data. Can you tell me what broker or data sources you are getting Canadian stock options data from ?

So to use The Options Lab for now, you will have to enter the options data by hand by choosing the Offline tab, you only need enter those data ( total four fields ) once. Top sections of the screen provides you the days to exp for diferent months so you don't have to calculate yourself.

Regards,

#20     Aug 1, 2009