Intraday/Swing Plays

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Seanote, Mar 6, 2002.

1. flea

flea

Great thread Seanote!

I was wondering if you pull your stocks of a general market scan or whether you have a basket of stocks that you watch all the time and what type of thing is it that catches your attention?

Regards

#341     Apr 12, 2002
  2. Seanote

Seanote Guest

Stocks Shun Lackluster Retail Sales

Despite a worse-than-expected retail sales report, stocks are looking to end the week on the right foot, climbing on news that the SEC said it had closed a preliminary investigation of IBM (IBM). Bonds are slightly lower in choppy trading in spite of the economic data and world markets are mixed.

Shares of IBM have recaptured some of yesterday's losses in the pre-market session after the SEC said that it had opened and closed a preliminary inquiry into Big Blue without taking any action. IBM has recently been haunted by the possibility of accounting improprieties surrounding a reported $280 million gain on the sale of an operating unit in December of 2001.

Mercury Interactive Corp. (MERQ) posted 1Q earnings excluding charges of $0.14 per share on revenues of $90.5 million, flying past the First Call Consensus estimate of $0.10 per share and $86.14 million, respectively. The test software manufacturer affirmed previous FY02 guidance of 5-15% growth in total revenue to $380-415 million, and earnings of $0.60-0.72 per share.

Juniper Networks, Inc. (JNPR) offered a lackluster 1Q earnings report, saying that revenues fell 63% to $122.2 million, below First Call's $123.5 million consensus estimate. The networking company posted earnings excluding charges of nil per share, in line with the Street's average forecast, and said that pro forma 2Q earnings would be sequentially unchanged.

#342     Apr 12, 2002
  3. Seanote

Seanote Guest

Closed 3,000 VOD @ 15.89

+ 1.27 points

#343     Apr 12, 2002
  4. Seanote

Seanote Guest

Technology continued to weaken. Naz 100 becomes the first market average to fall below its Feb low. Next logical question is how much weakness remains in this sector? MSFT is a strong componet. MSFT has been a leader on the downside since breaking its Feb low over a week ago. Since the breakdown the stock has trended sideways and didn't make a new low yesterday. Watch MSFT to get a clue on the Naz.

AAPL - Buy
    Support: $24.50
    Target: $27.50
    With the March higher low in place, AAPL is displaying a bullish agressive triangle pattern. Expect a breakout aroung the $25 resistance area.

TLB - Short
    Stop: $36.00
    Target: $29.25
    Stock has broken below support. Expect continued downward movement and note the very high volume.

#344     Apr 12, 2002
  5. Seanote

Seanote Guest

Long 2,000 AAPL @ 24.83

#345     Apr 12, 2002
  6. Seanote

Seanote Guest

Short 2,000 TLB @ 31.57

#346     Apr 12, 2002
  7. Seanote

Seanote Guest

I think my TLAB short is about to gap down. I'm short at 9.68 looking to make about a point. Anyone short?

#347     Apr 12, 2002
  8. pellaz

pellaz

Yes, only small amount at 9.51.

I've been studying these shorts every day...learning alot.

Still leary about targets, but technically, looks good to go.

#348     Apr 12, 2002
  9. Seanote

Seanote Guest

I'm placing a sell stop on TWC around 2.55

#349     Apr 12, 2002
  10. Seanote

Seanote Guest

FWC ....not TWC

#350     Apr 12, 2002