Intraday or long term

Discussion in 'Trading' started by trader1974, Jun 8, 2019.

1. trader1974

trader1974

Really a very difficult job

#21     Jun 8, 2019
  2. qlai

qlai

From what I've read, Buffet made initial money on arb opportunities. He said that if he had less money to invest, he would have no problems generating same kind of returns he used to. However, as AUM grew, he had to change. I hate it when people point to Buffet as an example of "long term investor." His advice to average investor is valid, but he is far from average and he doesn't just buy and hold.

#22     Jun 8, 2019
    guru and 10_bagger like this.
  3. Turveyd

Turveyd

Intraday all the way here... Yes it's Random for a period sometimes small period, sometimes large period of the day depending on news and factors I don't understand yet, but when there is some momentum in it's sails for a slow trend move or really fast direction, that's when you make the killing.

Issue being, everyone tries to trade the random chop cause it looks easier, but it isn't, got to learn and accept this.

#23     Jun 8, 2019
  4. comagnum

comagnum

Intraday or long term

C - both intraday & longer term (days to months).

Many of the best performing traders & hedge funds will trade both shorter & longer time frames - this helps to smooth out the equity curve by diversification on the holding time frames. This allows you to capture profits in both choppy & trending conditions.

The reason I layer into most positions is to diversify the holding time frames, a portion of the positions profits is taken much quicker than other layers which attempt to capture larger profits over longer time frames.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    #24     Jun 8, 2019
    trader99 likes this.
  5. Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand

He has never done more tha 10x in a year. Most years he was lucky to do 2X. Sure he did not follow that by a minus but whatever.

Once you have a lot of money, doubling it is not amazing.

Unless the world falls apart he makes sure his stocks do well. You just buy on the dip.

Give me a lot of money and I can make any stock do well.

If there is some real magick here I would like to know about it?

Real magick to me be is 20 times on any option.

#25     Jun 8, 2019
  6. ironchef

ironchef

If you have been successful, sure. I couldn't make money trading intraday.

#26     Jun 8, 2019
  7. Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand

Misread article - You can make/lose a lot more money intraday than long term. If you are going to do intraday do options.

If you are very good then intraday is the way, especially if you want to make a lot fast.

If you are so so then long term.

#27     Jun 8, 2019
  8. Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand

What problems did you have with Intraday? Where you putting a lot up? Where you holding overnight? What was the real problem? Intraday you can somewhat control the pain depending on the vol of the asset you are trading. Where you using stops? Where stops being blown through?

#28     Jun 8, 2019
  9. padutrader

padutrader

you ain't seen nothing yet...just wait for markets to open.....they have closed the markets so that they do not lose money to me any more

do not be surprised if they do not open markets any more

#29     Jun 8, 2019
    SimpleMeLike, Onra and dozu888 like this.
  10. Overnight

Overnight

Buffet is not a valid goalpost IMHO. This is a guy who apparently has every tax return he's ever filed, going back to when he was 13YO or something.

What teenager files tax returns? Seriously?

And that he has every tax return he ever filed in his life? Who does that? Only folks like Buffet, and maybe that is why we are not like him.

#30     Jun 8, 2019
    Ayn Rand likes this.