Intraday martingale with futures

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by TTT, Sep 9, 2018.

1. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

No offense intended but, you've *won* nothing.
    You've survived.
    Can you lose? Yes. "Oh boy!" Yes.
    But whether investing or trading, the opposite of lose is profit -- not win.
    "FWIW" and all that.

#11     Sep 9, 2018
  2. comagnum

comagnum

increasing your bets during losing streaks is counter to how top traders manage risk, it puts on the road to ruin. It also plays into the gamblers falacy that a losing streak means a winning streak is overdue which is just an illusion.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    #12     Sep 9, 2018
    Sig, lucysparabola, FX_Hedge and 5 others like this.
  3. TTT

TTT

2 operations went wrong (1 contract), however, then increase (2 contracts), and end up closing with profits.
    I've been lucky?

#13     Sep 9, 2018
  4. TTT

TTT

What is dangerous is not knowing the market trend.

#14     Sep 9, 2018
  5. TTT

TTT

However, this week has been simple, clearly they were short each day.

#15     Sep 9, 2018
  6. I don't think people realize what's behind some of the principles at work here. Price either consolidates or trends, so it exists in two phases. Consolidation you could say is an area where multiple traders are fighting it out, some trading 1 lots others trading 2 .. etc. What the zone represents is where traders are giving up to each other as their stop loss is hit. When a larger volume hit or larger trader hits the zone with a large order, the zone breaks into trend phase. If you randomly place trades without consideration for the zones (WHERE) and "WHEN", your going to run into the ruin phase where your taking the losses for all the traders in the zone.

Its highly critical, to look for 'outliers' and martingale the outliers. Outliers aren't just price points, they are time points also. Martingale in essence is a simulation of the market at the micro price structure, the goal is to be towards the last part of the consolidation zone, before placing a trade. Also you want to be towards the last part of time zone also.

This is where statistics comes into play. Take the length of the average consolidation zone in price on a tic chart, for a derivative create a distribution of varying lengths. If you want to minimize risk and maximize probability. Only place the trade towards the tail length of the consolidation zone. Also same thing with 'WHEN', statistically calculate which time intervals price mean reverts or trends. For some derivatives, those stats have been consistent for multi year lengths. Once you collect that data, play the 100th trader about to place the bet. Your looking for price escape out of zone where and when its mostly likely to happen based on multi year tick data. And if you want to be extra cautious with very low trade rate. Wait for the tail in consolidation zone, and time interval, simulated martingale position, for nth number of losses. Than place a live trade with 1 contract.

The fallacies mentioned above present themselves when you apply random actions. But when you bring to bear, the nature of the derivative, and statistics for that derivative, your essentially modeling its inherent behavior.

#16     Sep 9, 2018
    tommcginnis, They and TTT like this.
  7. Here is the yen chart, maximum pain is that yellow line currently. If you martingale the yellow line your going to go through maximum pain. And currently the red compression lines represent maximum pain. yen.PNG

#17     Sep 9, 2018
    timdug and TTT like this.
  8. TTT

TTT

My only indicator was simple average 20, observing the price in 5 minutes and 1 minute.
    With the idea before opening the session to operate only shorts.
    I'm incredulous
    It has been too easy.

#18     Sep 9, 2018
    tommcginnis likes this.
  9. TTT

TTT

Interesting the situation of the yen, if it goes up the markets will fall.

#19     Sep 9, 2018
  10. Rule #1 in trading.... PROTECT CAPITAL!

Rule #2... "See Rule #1".

Martingale is the antithesis of Rule #1.

It has always been my philosophy... "If the market takes take my money, it's going to be like being 'nibbled to death by ducks'".

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    #20     Sep 9, 2018