Intraday equity index traders: do you scale in, scale out, or remain constant?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Thunderdog, Aug 24, 2005.

How do you manage your intraday equity index futures trades?

1. I scale into intraday equity index futures trades

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. I scale out of intraday equity index futures trades

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
  3. My trade size remains constant throughout an intraday equity index futures trade

18 vote(s)
    47.4%
  1. F. d'Anconia

F. d'Anconia Guest

Hey guys
    this is a great thread. something that I have been thinking about for some time now and am just starting to work the kinks out of on a daily basis.

I trade stocks, not futures, but there is no difference for the purposes of this question.

I have found that psychologically for me, it does NOT work to scale in because I find myself taking half baked setups and justifying it by smaller size. Therefore I go in full size all the time and concentrate on the amount of points I make daily, weekly and monthly. As for scaling OUT, always. I cut it up into 4 pieces usually and flip it out a quarter at a time. This also helps out immensely psychologically because I don't want to be the one who decides where the move ends. If you blow your load in one shot on the exit.......... well, you know.......... you're left with your dick in your hand as the stock runs 50 cents more and you've no shares left on the table. Not a good thing.

I look forward to more people chiming in on this thread.

#11     Aug 24, 2005
  2. i scale in over a 2 point range for my es trading -- 1 unit at entry signal, 2 units at 1 point away from entry, and 3 units at 2 points from entry. as the price is bouncing around i will then scale out as needed to accomplish my original profit target.

if price runs beyond my 2 point final scale in level, and if my signal is still good, i start a hedge position in the opposite direction. i trade off 1500 tick charts for the es and this does not happen that often --- usually the signal changes before price moves to my last scale in point.

today i had one of these i had to manage around 10:27 est. i entered a short and then i had to play the long side a bit until i was able to manage the trade profitable --- i was out of this trade by 11:11 est with a good profit.

there are too many buy/sell program pops all the time to just pick a perfect entry, so i have found this to work best for me -- the market has enough noise that the scale in method is a preferred entry method imo.

#12     Aug 24, 2005
  3. I always scale out.

The market doesn't care about your price targets, nor does it care where you think it should go.

As the market rewards me, I accept graciously. :)

#13     Aug 24, 2005
  4. I scale both in and out of all futures trades over a very small range of 2-3 ticks. I don't trade equity index but rather bond futures

#14     Aug 24, 2005
  5. I actively scale out at four different profit levels. It is always hard to know exactly where the market will stop and yet I find it necessary to be aggressive in taking profits because futures can turn around so quickly. I also will add to a position if I get a 2nd entry signal once in a trade (although this is rare).

#15     Aug 25, 2005