Intraday Backtesting and Strategy Development

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by bobbo2111, Mar 18, 2011.

1. bobbo2111

bobbo2111

Can anyone comment on which is the best software for intraday equity backtesting and strategy development. Ive searched around but seems like most are geared towards EOD stuff and most only allow you to go back 20 or so days with intraday data. Doesnt seem sufficient enough to create a intraday strategy with only 20 days of data.

Also, any software out there that I could use with my brokers API so that all positions in the strategy could be automatically initiated on the open and sold at the close as not to carry any overnight risk.

Thanks for you help

2. NinjaTrader_Ray

NinjaTrader_Ray ET Sponsor

Most if not all the tools mentioned on EliteTrader for backtesting can handle both EOD and intraday. With respect to data, you will have to pay for it somewhere should you wish to backtest extended periods of intraday data.

You can use NinjaTrader for intraday backtesting for free. You can then use Kinetick for $50 per month if all you want is historical intraday data.

3. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

TradersStudio can backtest down to 1 minute bars. In addition in TradersStudio Professional you can use 24 hr data and set the session start /end time to the old pit sessions and create a simulated day session only.

4. I was interested in Kinetick; but after contacting them found out their intraday data only goes back 2 years. IMO, not enoughback data to back-test an intraday system(s).

But as for platforms, NinjaTrader is a great tool.