Into The Abyss

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Nov 12, 2012.

1. pspr

pspr

I hope all you guys have written your Congressman to not give in to Obama or Boehner. Let's see how bad it gets before the democraps cry 'uncle.'

#11     Nov 12, 2012
  2. This would be the case if we had a parliamentary system. We don't. The Constitution set up three separate co-equal branches of government. Obama is not a premier, a king or a dictator, even if he frequently seems to think he is.

Republicans are under no obligation, moral, political or constitutional, to roll over and play dead for him. He didn't win the House. He didn't win a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate.

Why would anyone ever want to vote for or contribute to republicans if their response to a mixed election was to just surrender like they had lost every race? It would look like they didn't really believe their previous arguments.

Moreover, we know that Obama's policies will be disastrous in the long run for the country. How can we justify just giving up? Obama has no intention of ever cutting spending. He's as likely to do that as he is to secure the mexican border. It's a fantasy, put out there to eucher republicans into violating the most fundamental part of their philosophy.

Reagan fell for it and called it his biggest mistake. Bush 41 fell for it and was reviled for breaking his "Read My Lips" pledge. Are we really so stupid we are going to fall for that same trick a third time?

#12     Nov 12, 2012
  3. Republicans are under no obligation, moral, political or constitutional, to roll over and play dead for him.
    -----------------------

This is what I thought but didn't know how to defend my thoughts, You explained it perfectly. Thanks

#13     Nov 12, 2012
  4. You are absolutley correct in stating they are under no obligation to roll over. I'm asking, just asking what's the smart political move to make at this moment in time.
    The way I see it the republicans have three choices.
    1. Tell Obama to go pound sand, period.
    2. Negotiate some type of bipartisan agreement.
    3. Give Obama everything he wants.
    Option one. The country goes down the tubes and Obama claims the compleltely unresonable repubilcan party would rather see the country implode than have their rich buddies pay a dime more in taxes. He wins that argument and there won't be a republican left in congress come 2014.
    Option two. They negotiate some kind of deal. Things work out to some degree and Obama says if this hard headed guys would have done this two years ago we'd be further along in the recovery. Obama wins that argument too. Republicans lose massively in 2014.
    Option three. Give Obama every single thing he wants. The economy improves, however slightly and the republicans are gone for good, OR, it all comes crashing down as they are predicting. Republicans actually grow some balls during the 2014 campaign season and ask the American public very directly. Do you now have it through your thick f'n skulls that the democratic plan isn't going to work? You either elect us or you're going to starve, literally, and we'll be here to say we told you so. Wise the fuck up, or die. They need to say it that directly and coldly. Republicans win in a landslide.
    Tell me if there are other options because I don't see any.

#14     Nov 12, 2012
  5. pspr

pspr

On Monday's "Tonight Show," host Jay Leno had this to say about politicians' warnings that the U.S. is heading toward a "fiscal cliff":

“Well both parties in Washington now agree that our country is headed towards a ‘fiscal cliff’. That’s what they said. We’re heading straight towards a fiscal cliff. The bad news - we just elected a guy whose campaign slogan was 'Forward.'

“So let me see if I got this right. Oh, we’re in great shape. The Republicans drove us into a ditch, and the Democrats are driving us over a cliff. Fantastic. Fantastic. Couldn’t be better.

“But the good news is President Obama says we’ll run out of gas long before we get to the cliff. So don’t worry about it, don’t worry about."

#15     Nov 13, 2012