Interviews

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by slumpey, Aug 15, 2002.

1. agora

agora

I sit there and I watch guys come in to be interviewed at my shop and you can always tell a "newbie" from a seasoned trader. newbie always wear the nicest suits. Sharp!

That's not to say you should dress one way or the other but I'd go with the sharp. Why not? It makes you look like you mean business.

Besides, the reason the seasoned guys may not be so sharply dressed is because they are coming there on a recommendation, a word of mouth type of a deal.

Worldco, you can make great deals, this is for sure. I've spoken to many guys from Worldco, both successful and unsuccessful traders. The successful ones will tell you it's not that bad but the systems go down a lot in some buildings. The Unsuccessful ones will tell you many horror stories. Even some of the successful ones will tell you some bad things about Worldco, like they don't treat you very well. Well, I don't know what they expect, the place is huge, you're just some guy occupying a seat! Unless you happen to be a top gun, or someone who does huge volume.

But there is one common denominator that everyone seems to suggest. You get no training at Worldco. If you want training you'll have to actively seek it. Unless you happen to be very lucky to land in a group where the trainer is a very good teacher and is willing to spend the time.

Lynx is ok as of now. It's a fast growing company and they're rapidly expanding. So with it they're going to experience growing pains. When it was smaller they could give you more personal attention but that's not so true anymore. But they still have a pretty good trainer/student ratio. The important thing is the trainers are accessible as is the management and they always try to listen to you.

The quality of the trainers used to be much better though they are still good. But it is definitely getting a bit overcrowded. Their "hammer" execution platform is a killer!

#21     Aug 17, 2002
  2. mike s

mike s

...sit up straight and quit slumping.

#22     Aug 17, 2002
  3. Fuck the suit, it's a prop trading position. Pants are optional.

#23     Aug 17, 2002
  4. zcar

zcar

Just call them up and ask. The main objective is to feel comfortable, assertive, and a good communicator. All else usually falls in place.

#24     Aug 17, 2002
  5. Vishnu

Vishnu

can someone explain to me: what is the big deal about a prop trading firm? Don't you just bring some money (20-50K), they give you 10-1 leverage and a desk and then you get to "work"? Please correct me if I'm wrong. What is the standard "deal"?

#25     Aug 17, 2002
  6. momotrdr, you've got the funniest sense of humour!!!!

keep it coming!

#26     Aug 17, 2002
  7. a true prop deal will fund the trader all the way. (WEAR A SUIT)

The quasi prop crap where you put up your own $ (You don't have to wear shoes!) helps underfunded traders, the bd for more commissions , and again the bd since you have to be licensed so it's near impossible to take them to arbitration when you find them skimming margin interest or other illegal acts from your account cuz it's really not your account, but the LLC and you became a contributor to the llc.

#27     Aug 17, 2002
  8. What other illegal acts do these prop shops do?

#28     Aug 18, 2002