Interviews

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by slumpey, Aug 15, 2002.

1. axehawk

axehawk

Can you wear a dark blue shirt with black pants?

#11     Aug 15, 2002
  2. slumpey

slumpey

that is what I was planning on wearing. I didnt know if I should wear a suit

#12     Aug 15, 2002
  3. Despite what my friend "axe" (pretty funny however)says, you may want to listen to this. Trading is a self starting, self motivated type of business. Quality attire always looks good, but "too dress" looks as if you are desperately seeking a "job" (yuk, job)...

I suggest, because NYC is obviously a little more formal than the West Coast, that you wear "business casual" ...nice shirt and slacks, with maybe a light blazer or sportcoat. No tie.....

And more importantly, be sure to be comfortable, you will come across a lot more self confident...

Good Luck!!!

Don

#13     Aug 15, 2002
  4. Yes. I am not in NYC, but don't wear a suit. And don't wear a tie.

#14     Aug 15, 2002
  5. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

The business "Formaility" index geos up from west to east. That is, the east coast is more formal than the west coast with the midwest somewhere in the middle.

As long as you are resonably dressed - good quality business casual - and well groomed there will be nothing to distract the audience from your words: Your demeanor and ability to communicate are 98% of the interview - assuming you know what you are talking about. Attire depends upon your job function. If you will be customer facing then you need to show the face that the customer will see. If no, then overdressing will be a distraction.

#15     Aug 15, 2002
  6. G-Man

G-Man

Slumpey, I work at Worldco and all I'd say that 9 out of every 10 guys who come in for an interview wear a suit and tie. I have to beg to differ with those who say it is too formal. In fact, I think there stands a better chance that you send a bad impression by not wearing a suit. You only get one chance to make a first impression. Make it a good one.

#16     Aug 15, 2002
  7. I'd say that the single most important thing is to come across focused and determined. If you show up looking like you mean business, you've accomplished that. It really doesn't matter if you wear a suit or just "look nice"; just make sure it doesn't distract whoever you're meeting.

#17     Aug 15, 2002
  8. achu717

achu717

Slumpy

what did you do to get an interview with Worldco?
    ivy league grad ? experience?

#18     Aug 15, 2002
  9. If you're a newbie, wear a nice conservative suit. If you're experienced and successful, wear whatever the heck you want!

#19     Aug 15, 2002
  10. MUChris

MUChris

Hey Slumpey,

When I interviewed at Worldco, I wore my best suit, and the guy that interviewed me wore a jumpsuit. It was a little awkward, but I didn't know what to expect.

By the way, if you look like a hotshot, (and let them know the fact that you have an interview with more than one firm that day), hence the suit, they may offer you a better deal.

Just a thought.

Chris

P.S. Just let them know you want to be in a group with a good deal, because no matter what the group leader says, they don't teach you shit, so don't sacrifice the deal for the schpeal.

#20     Aug 16, 2002