Interview With Top Hedge Fund - Help!

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by AmyM, May 8, 2009.

1. AmyM

AmyM

Hi,

This is my first post here so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I have an interview next week with one of the most famous hedge fund traders in the world.

I am scared out of my wits.

I am not a trader. I only want to *be* a trader. He knows this. He likes my entrepreneurial background (I've started two successful companies) and my engineering degree. One of my companies was creating trading software, and I did have a financial analyst position a long time ago with a giant company - so I have some exposure. But I've never actually made a trade.

Friends say that it will come down to personality and smarts. If I can convince him that I will make him more money than I cost, I got the job. But there is going to be a learning curve.

Any ideas on how to ace this? Any tips? Anything at all?

Thanks so much!

Amy

2. AAA30

AAA30

Be confident, highlight what made you successful in the past and why you think you will be and asset for his fund. He would not have asked for an interview if he did not see something he liked. And if he is a very famous guy read up on him and his firm. Try to understand some basics of what he does but don't try to be an expert.

Good luck.

3. AmyM

AmyM

That last sentence might have been the best advice I've received. I'm going nuts trying to figure it all out to mitigate the experience issue. But I guess you're right - I don't need to try to be an expert since he knows I am a complete novice.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks again.

4. AAA30

AAA30

It is basic advice, you might get some better ideas from the traders here if you let them know what kind of fund it is and what the position is. Of course that is your decision if you want to divulge that.

5. AAA30 made some good points about doing research about the trader and the firm. Remember that traders are usually alpha males so be respectable and lower your ego by mentioning that you are willing to do whatever it takes to learn from him and eventually become profitable.

I would also recommend that you certainly show confidence and be a type-A personality... you cannot appear timid and risk-averse.

Some other things I would do is to endorse that you are a very "disciplined" person who admits that they are frequently wrong. It's all about listening to your stop loss while trading. Show your passion for the markets. Show that you are a competitive person... mention any sports you played in college or anything related to competition (could be your businesses).

Can I ask what kind of trading position is this? Stocks, bonds, options, other more complex derivatives?

6. Be read to tell him what you can offer, what your skill set has you ready for now. He doesn't want to hear about potential (i.e. once they teach you) even if you don't have the experience. He wants to hear what you can do for him now that separates you from some Harvard MBA, how your skill set makes you interesting and special. Does your entrepreneurial background give you an advantage at evaluating companies or maybe it shows why you'll be able to come up with new money making strategies because you've had to be resourceful, etc.

7. AmyM

AmyM

Monty21,

It's natural gas futures.

<b>He doesn't want to hear about potential (i.e. once they teach you) even if you don't have the experience. He wants to hear what you can do for him now that separates you from some Harvard MBA, how your skill set makes you interesting and special. </b>

I agree totally! I do not want to tell him that "I can learn and be great!" I want to be able to tell him, "I will make you more money than I cost and I can do that pretty much immediately."

I am just trying to figure out how.

<b>
    Does your entrepreneurial background give you an advantage at evaluating companies or maybe it shows why you'll be able to come up with new money making strategies because you've had to be resourceful, etc.</b>

I've thought of that. I think my background is what he likes a lot. He's an aggressive person, and he likes risk. I can prove that I think like him.

One thing: I have a blog about finance and the markets. It's pretty popular - 200k visitors a month. Is it worth mentioning this or will it seem amateurish?

Thank you guys again for all your help.

8. drcha

drcha

I am no financial expert, but I do interview people frequently, and I think your blog would be highly relevant. It shows interest in the subject matter at hand. After all, with your entrepreneurial spirit and experience, there are lots of things you could do--you don't necessarily have to work in the financial world.

The main question for me when I interview someone is not whether they have the requisite skills. If their resume did not contain evidence of those skills, they would never have gotten in the door. The primary question is: will this person be happy working here?

People want to hire you if you appear to be extremely interested in what they do. It's important for you to demonstrate that you would be not just useful, but also content in the line of work. There is no sense hiring someone, however qualified, who is going to be bored or unhappy--they just create a negative atmosphere, ultimately quit and then you have to start all over investing your time and energy in someone new. So I would talk about the blog, because it highlights your interest in the financial world.

I would also give examples of my skills as a team player. After all, you'll be part of a team. Some entrepreneurs are lone wolves. If you're not, make sure you show that.

Good luck--let us know how it goes.

9. bh_prop

bh_prop

Centaurus? The best in the business. Hope it works out for you.

10. ecritt

ecritt

Consider being yourself, telling the truth, and trusting his judgment as to whether you'd be a good fit for the firm. Any business person worth his/her weight in salt will appreciate accuracy, honesty, and justified deference.

#10     May 9, 2009