Interview- Where do you see yourself in...

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Hockey Trader, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Hey guys,

Mostly a reader of this forum and have learned a lot so far.

Overall, I have been in a few prop interviews and have received this question:

"Where do you see yourself in 2,5,10 years."

I can't say I really know what type of answer they are looking for. In a banking sense, I was told that obviously you want to show you want to be in the firm in some capacity, of course at a higher level to show hunger. So I have noted that I hope in a few years that I have shown progression in trading and I am able to trade successfully most days. That I am taking on more responsibility at the firm and given more leverage to trade with.

Is this acceptable or is these something hurting me in that type of response?

Thanks for the help.

2. jtnet

jtnet

insert a boiler room quote then, ala ben affleck (sp?) .

instantly hired.

3. Where do I see myself in 10 years? You Want details? Fine. I want a Ferrari, 355 Cabriolet, What's up. I want a ridiculous house in the South Fork. I want every toy you could possibly imagine. And most of all, I want to be liquid.

4. jtnet

jtnet

incredible.
    perfect!

OP memorize this

5. Haha, it's true.

In 10 years I want to be daytrading from home and hopefully doing well, no doubt on that. But I do doubt they want to hear that.
    Thanks for the replies

6. jtnet

jtnet

you would probably get hired on the spot.

it ballsy and clever.

7. No worries, Tough Life.

I wasn't responding to you, which I thought was obvious

8. for comical value answer "not in this shit hole" or "your boss"

9. To be honest, I actually agree with what you said. Although I don't have that $$ now. I agree in that I think you learn the most when making mistakes yourself and following your own plan, learning from it, perfecting it.

But as I said, I don't have 10k laying around and to be honest if I did start off independently, I would be more confident with a little more capital. I realize it is tough and upwards of 95% of traders fail, one reason is being under capitalized.

10. If I could add, somewhat related-

During the interviews, do you want to project yourself as somewhat cocky? Or just very confident? I guess showing energy would be important as well.

Also, I realize most of these places have a casual dress code. It shouldn't be an issue if I am wearing a suit to the interviews, right?

Thanks again for the advice

#10     Feb 3, 2009