Interview question

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by Soon2Bgreat, Jan 29, 2012.

1. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

What type of job were you interviewin for? and what type of firm?

For example, at a bank prop desk I doubt they would care about the loss of investor capital due to redemptions.

#61     Jan 31, 2012
  2. It was a traditional invstmntmgmt place (think AllianceBernstein, BlackRock, Fidelity, etc.) - the PM managed a global equity book (value iirc) and it was an entry level associate role.

The irony of it is at the time they were only a few months away from such a drawdown. Though, afaik, these kinds of drawdowns happen and aren't too detrimental given the nature of that business.

#62     Jan 31, 2012
  3. Something just occurred to me:

Why settle for a pairs trading system? Why not a trio or a quartet? I mean the logic is so simple. Even a beauone head should be able to understand this. Of course, it would help if you had a minor in math and a completed CFA 1, but I'm certain the small people on ET can understand this.

By the way, the WORLD IS FLAT! THE WORLD IS FLAT! THE WORLD IS FLAT! I know this! I proved it with my degree in Math! Come on little people on ET, just google it! Its right there for you to see!

#63     Jan 31, 2012
  4. I am not wrong. It's common sense. Obviously with a little amount it won't matter, but if your managing a big portfolio it's a big difference

#64     Jan 31, 2012
  5. would you rather A) gain 20% for 4yrs and then lose 50% in the fifth or B) lose 50% in the first year and gain 20% for the remaining four years.

being married at the time, it would depend on what she looked like.

margin requirements, investor confidence, 2 and 20% / maint. fees also come into play.....:)

s

#65     Jan 31, 2012
  6. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

it's 95% beta anyway.

#66     Jan 31, 2012
  7. God no.... 720 X 20% = 864 ???

Sure, use X * 1.2 instead of: X[1] = X[0] + (20% * X[0]) for clarity..?

Third times a charm!

#67     Jan 31, 2012
  8. Bwolinsky's mistake is a good example of the dangerous of intuitive thinking. He looks at the problem and immediately thinks "must be a trick question." He's been studying a lot of CFA material recently, and thinks, ah, must be an issue of compounding.

This leads him to a biased, intuitive conclusion that one result must be greater than the other, and he creates a flawed mathematical formula to prove it, not realizing that dividing by 1.5 does not equal a 50% loss.

Irony is that most middle school math students probably would be able to tell that the two scenarios produce equal results.

#68     Jan 31, 2012
  9. Think it was early AM when I posted that. Too early for me to think clearly.

#69     Jan 31, 2012
  10. Nonsense. Your ego got in the way. "I'm a CFA canidate!!! (Nobody else knows but me)" mentalty. You overlooked the obvious because you were being an arrogant know it all.

#70     Jan 31, 2012