Interview question

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by Soon2Bgreat, Jan 29, 2012.

1. cstfx

cstfx

The correct answer is A.

#41     Jan 30, 2012
  2. One of the big things I've noticed that differentiate finance people from scientists and mathematicians is that finance people are very good at plugging numbers into a formula. Unfortunately, you don't know how to develop that formula and you therefore don't know WHY it works.

That's why you made the mistake you made, Beau.

I question now whether or not you actually even understand the system that you trade with.

#42     Jan 30, 2012
  3. If years of online posts, performance statistics, and equity curves are not enough for you, it is you who does not even understand how to begin trading in the first place.

#43     Jan 30, 2012
  4. Are you sure you've correctly calculated the results of your backtests? :D

Beau, if X reduces by 50% and then increases by 50% what's the value of my portfolio as a function of X?

#44     Jan 30, 2012
  5. It was a simple mistake, bhardy.

Don't read too much into it. It's not the same as what I use to create portfolio simulations, when you might only be able to produce individual instrument backtests.

Don't insult my intelligence, and I won't insult yours.

#45     Jan 30, 2012
  6. Are you sure?

Correct answer to my question:

[X/2] (1.5) = 3X/4.

Is that what you got? Do you really understand how percents work?

Edit: Good for you. Except that isn't a function of X, but I understand what you meant to say.

You insult everyone else; why shouldn't we insult you???

#46     Jan 30, 2012
  7. Of course I do, bhardy!

0.75=3/4.

0.5*1.5

#47     Jan 30, 2012
  8. Holy sh-t!!!

This thread is awesome.

Bowo, back at it, 100% commitment.

I STARTED LAUGHING OUT LOUD
    :D

CFA?!? Money manager? F--k, thanks for the laugh.

Guys, Bowo is "special". Just do a post history search for goodness sake.

#48     Jan 30, 2012
  9. I don't insult people.

If I have a problem with what they are saying many people do not understand that when you explicitly name call or engage in personal attacks like "you're stupid", or you guys are idiots the difference is to the audience. Since it's to nobody in particular, there's no harm in that.

Simple mistakes like that are the same as doing 1/1+e^x integration in a 10 point problem and subtracting 2 points on the question because you didn't write +c.

It is semantics. Though in this case, I did not do anything with pushing symbols which is something I'm better at, and basic math sometimes I do get careless with, but not when it comes to strategy trading, system development, or money management.

#49     Jan 30, 2012
  10. Come on guys; let's no be too mean.

I think beau does get it, and it was an honest mistake. However, he really needs to learn how get his ego under control so he can see his mistake BEFORE he makes a fool out of himself.

#50     Jan 30, 2012