Internships Summer 2008

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by bigbrent701, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Its that time of the year again fellas, and this year I am getting an early start. I dont have to go through the whole process of building the resume and compiling lists of contacts as I kept those from last year.

I am on track to graduate in December 2008 so this summer will allow me one more crack at landing that important summer internship trading related.

I will be applying at the following firms.

UBS - Sales & Trading, Stamford CT , worked in retail for UBS this past summer, I like the company made some contacts. Will leverage this the best of my ability

Campbell & Company - Trading internship, Towson MD, Managed futures, highly technical/quant approach. They were my first choice last year made it through the first phone screen but no such luck afterwards. I will pursue this with diligence.

Citigroup - Sales & Trading , New York
    Lehman Brothers - Sales & Trading, New York
    Goldman Sachs - Sales and Trading, New York
    Gabelli, Trading & Operations, Rye NY
    Bank of America- Sales & Trading
    JP Morgan- Sales & Trading

Most of these are longshots but im willing to play the #s game, having dealt with all this last year I kind of know what to expect in terms of the process. Also realize my biggest obstacle is not being at a target school. In posting this i realize I am a bit behind on the ball as I should have a better list off the top of my head than just the top tier firms.

So yeah its that time of year again. For those in a similar situation feel free to PM me.

2. Top tier schools help a lot but its not everything. I did my undergrad at a non top tier school and got a job at a top tier firm. But it was a struggle, I admit. You need to show a lot of passion and initiative and instead of wining about your school point out your strenghts that are directly applicable to trading. I can compare because I did my masters at top uni and had a much easier time after graduation from grad school.

Good luck!!!

3. I'm in a top-20 MBA program and I'm looking for summer 2008 internships that are trading related. My background is in IT - sys admin and programming.

I trade for my own account equities, options, and futures with IB. I've been doing this awhile and have learned a few lessons. I've read the classic books like the 'Market Wizards' ones and Reminiscences - a couple of times. I think some of the collective market wisdom is starting to rub off on me after these past years.

That said, I know that my kind of trading, momentum etc, is different from what goes on in real institutional proprietary shops. That's where I want to be.

While my school has a recruiting system - I'd be glad for any advice from any of you who are in the top tier firms.. I've been through a few threads from searching here but I think there's a little more that could be said. I like to hear things from as close to the source as I can.

4. I've been looking for an internship opportunity in the US, but coming from Canada I've found it very difficult.

I don't come from a top school, and I'm still doing my college studies before I go to Uni to possibly get my BA or MBA.

All I hear and see is "Must be from Ivy Leave/Top School". I can't get into these schools nor could I afford it. Am I screwed?

5. Im in not quite the same situation as you guys as im only a junior in high school. Have been trading since I was 15 and have learned basically everything through the school of hard knocks.

Just recently starting to trade the currencies in very early morning trade before school and have to learn a completely different ballgame now intra day trading from position trading. Looks like im going to graduate school at hard knocks lol!

Anyway wanted some advice from you guys. What degree do most of you have? I have heard finance or economics is the norm but don't really want to take finance because I really suck at complex math. Is econ that math intensive?

Some people now say getting a math or CS degree is the only way to go but like I said I suck at complex math and find it hard to imagine the usefulness of it. Also with all this quant and automated system blow ups due to the recent volatility in the markets lately I think people will slowly start to weed themselves away from the complex math trading models and scientific trading in general so I don't think the future is that bright for a degree in those two.

I have to admit im not a very good student and maintain a 3.0gpa in school. Probably be going to a state college after high school. Sorry for keeping the post so long and I don't mean to cut infront of the OP but if you guys could give me a few pointers it would be greatly appreciated.

6. volente_00

volente_00

Eco major with a minor in psychology.

7. Hi,

I used to know a guy who didn't have an MBA, however he has been trading for a while in the last 8 years and he made an average of 40% per year. He trades options using non directional strategies. Well, he sent out his account records and he got some interviews, I don't know where he is working now but he got a job. He said he didn't really need the job, but he kind of wanted to get out of his house and spend time with other people while working and following the market.

If one studies to be a doctor certainly a degree is mandatory and a good school helps, but if it is about trading jobs it looks like what they care about is if you can make money with consistency, I am sure school is a big plus but it is not the main thing

good luck

8. Thats what I've heard, too. If you're very profitable trading on your own and your account statements back this up, getting a trading job would be easier then walking up with a basic Finance degree.

However, so many people stress education as a very important piece to have on your resume. However, I've learned more on my own about trading/economics/fundamentals then in school, and I'm taking a Finance degree...

9. yoyoman2

yoyoman2

good luck!

I tried too but i didnt have much luck (yet still crossing my fingers since I am talking to some MD's)

10. cdowis

cdowis

Read an article that commodity traders are hot now.

http://www.traderdaily.com/news/item/11471.html (may need to register to access)

Get a good understanding of the energy market, for example. NG, crude, etc and I would suppose that this would set you apart from the crowd.

Just an idea.

#10     Oct 17, 2007