Internship

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by kidPWRtrader, Jul 29, 2007.

1. I currently have an "internship" with a hedge fund that hasn't really been working out. A lot of promises have been made, but long story short, little has been followed through with.

I am now friends with the guy I work with so this makes this a little harder... but now he is saying that he wants me to trade paper for a while with my strategy and then after he sees it in action, he will let me manage a portion of the funds. Well... that is not what I originally had in mind when I got my internship. I could be doing (and I am ) with my own funds. I wanted to help him out with anything I could in return for knowledge - and its been near a year and I'm seeing nothing promising.

The kicker is that he wants me to show him what I do step by step basically. Now, believe me... I don't think that what I do is anything special, but (as I've told my mentor in regards to my question) I feel it is rather strange that the student is teaching the teacher.

What do you guys think? Get out of a potentially bad situation now?

I have always felt if I dont have a good feeling about something that I should not even bother with it... well I have broken my own rules with this in this regard. I am young (19) so I am sure there will be much more opportunities later as I become a better trader.

Then again, I am rather careful with anything to do with business. I have learned how to deal in business situations from my family and the biggest thing I know is that you never destroy relationships or act too soon.

2. can I ask you what background you have to have been able to

"get in the door" of this HF ?

did you apply to a few HF's or investment banks at the same time you applied for this one ?

3. No real background to tell you the truth. I have always got all my jobs by simply talking...

Long story short, he was doing a guest presentation at a club... I introduced myself, we talked, and had a lunch.

Pretty much the same way i've gotten all my jobs - a mix of luck and social skills.

4. I don't know what your situation is exactly but you should stand up for yourself if you feel they're stringing you along.

5. montipat

montipat

Hi kidPWRtrader,

generally, if you want to switch internships or search for one abroad you can checkout
    http://www.iHipo.com (combination of Social Network and Jobsite, targeted at qualified international jobs and internships for young professionals and students).

Regards,
    Patrick