Internet Speed Shootout! What's your speed!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jackpearson, May 27, 2012.

1. Which brings up the point of cost per mbps.

Anyone can crush this - here in Chicago I pay $45 a month and get 24mbps.

So about 50 cents for mbps.

Others?

#31     May 29, 2012
  2. LEAPup

LEAPup

Winston, are you doing the same kind of stuff, such as how you set up your house for others as part of your New business?

#32     May 29, 2012
  3. LEAPup

LEAPup

Btw, I screwed up my above post believing I was paying for 60. I'm paying for 50. None the less, it's still only running an average 18 down and 2 up. Sometimes it runs up to 35-38 down, and still 2 up, or it runs 5 down and no reading on upload. And after six visits here by the "technicians" there is zero change. The last problem is they're the only game in town offering above 20. They show me some dumb ass hand held meter showing high readings while speedtest tells the truth, and the computer obviously runs slow(er) right before these genius's eyes. Very frustrating trying to find a fix for this!

#33     May 29, 2012
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

That is Chicago accounting. In the real world, that is about $2 per mbps... :)

#34     May 29, 2012
  5. I am getting 25mbs download, and .98 mbs upload. I'm going to call Time Warner about upload. Is there anything I can do on my own to improve upload? It is the same on my old WinXP P-4, as my new Dell with Win 7 Pro, I7, and self built I7, Win7 Pro, all with different network cards obviously. Using a fairly old Linksys WRT54g.

#35     May 29, 2012
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

#36     May 29, 2012
  7. How r u diong? I just got walloped & was on the losing end of a motorcycle vs. car accident so i know how you feel being laid up all day... for me typing one-handed is torture...

I'm open & honest. I set everyone up the same as me - except that I've now got 28 clients (or at least 28 guys who pay me on a semi regular basis) so my internet is above & beyond. Outside that there is no rocket science in the whole hardware game.

ding! ding! ding!

I would gladly take a 25/25 line or even a 10/10 vs the crappy 50 down vs 2.0 up they sell.

A trader needs 2.0 mb/sec on his/her line - if you have a home office you need 5.0mb/sec once the kids get home from school...

#37     May 29, 2012
  8. < 1Mbps: 19.2k modem on dial-up, or really bad signals on wifi

1 Mbps - 5 Mbps: DSL

5 Mbps - 20 Mbps: cable modem

20 Mbps up: FIOS, or photoshoped speed LOL

#38     May 31, 2012
  9. So, if they have a good month you get a check... otherwise, it's "I'll catch you next month (maybe, of course)"?

#40     May 31, 2012