Internet Speed Shootout! What's your speed!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jackpearson, May 27, 2012.

1. LEAPup

LEAPup

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1975267027.png

Thanks for bringing this up! I have been having problems with my Home system (well, Home system for now...) I pay for 60, and take a look at what I'm getting right now. Yes, I am running a dual channel N-router Linksys E4200. My two trading computers are wired.

The kids run their skype, facebook crap (lol) wireless laptops. The youngest in on his Xbox live right now, as well as his i7 processor gaming laptop ($ OUCH!), but I wouldn't think that would make much difference would it?

Sometimes I'll get 38-40 as you are, but there are times like this evening where it's obviously slower, and I'm getting this crap.

I've had the cable company here SIX times, and they show me some ignorant ass meter they have that I'm getting 55+ and I know that's complete BS on their part! Dealing with them is a nightmare, but they're the only game in town with speedy internet. The others are worse.

I'm open to a repeater if that's what it takes.

#11     May 27, 2012
  2. JamesL

JamesL

As was brought up in another thread, FIOS is king if you can get it:

[​IMG]

This is for 35/35.

#12     May 27, 2012
  3. LEAPup

LEAPup

Article on repeaters: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-network-repeater.htm

I posted it because they state in the beginning: "A network repeater is a device used to expand the boundaries of a wired or wireless (WiFi) local area network (LAN)."

I'm wired with both trading computers, but it sounds like this works, and will help. Now the question is what one would you buy?

#13     May 27, 2012
  4. LEAPup

LEAPup

Ooh rah!:)

#14     May 27, 2012
  5. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote from learner2007:

This is what you guys can look forward to whenever the U.S catches up. This is with a 100Mbps optical fiber connection. Sometimes get even better than this.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japan. Here everyone has a 100Mbps optical fiber connection. They're now offering 160 and some 200Mbps plans. This speed is of course not needed for trading.
    Been using 100Mbps for 8 or 9 years. Have had only 1 outage. A part broke in the box that connects the main cable to the cables that go to each apartment in my building. They came and fixed it all within 30 minutes.
    Costs about $40 a month. Some providers charge even less.

Hope you get the same soon!

#15     May 27, 2012
  6. LEAPup

LEAPup

$40/month for 100 :eek: wow! That's $200/ month where I live.:(

#16     May 27, 2012
  7. You can thank Masayoshi Son for that.

My speed is a pathetic 15.89 Mbps TW cable modem.

#17     May 27, 2012
  8. silexx

silexx

[​IMG]

#18     May 27, 2012
  9. LEAPup

LEAPup

Ok, you've gotta explain that one. Details...

#19     May 28, 2012
  10. You're fricking kidding us right? :eek:

#20     May 28, 2012