Internet explorer

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by NasdaqTrader, May 8, 2004.

1. Bizarre as it sounds, after several days of using foxfire, I fired up Explorer this morning just for the hell of it and its working probelm free again.

:confused:

this is after it didn't work for a few days (it would close anytime I attempted to email or click certain things within webpages). I haven't made any changes so who the hell knows, figured I'd mention it though.

#31     May 24, 2004
  2. FYI - once you've allowed your registry settings for IE to be compromised (something which is not typically fixed by virus/spyware SW), reinstalling IE will do nothing.

As far as HTAs go - according to Microsoft, HTA activation is supposed to follow the same process as if you click a link to an executable image (i.e., you should be asked to verify that you want to install and execute the HTA) and you browser security settings should be able to block them if they're not coming from a trusted signed CAB file.

#32     May 24, 2004
  3. #33     May 26, 2004
  4. Yes. My IE works flawlessly, why shouldn't yours?

#34     May 26, 2004
  5. It's not too difficult, if I was able to reinstall Win 2k anyone can do it. I won't use IE to surf on non trading website though. Something really worrying is already happening on my computer. I have only visited a few websites, netscape, quote.com, msn.com, prophetfinance.com, stockcharts.com. When I typed prophetfinance.com in the address bar I was taken to a coolwebsearch type of url something like YOUR.COM/ORG from Digimedia LP with a pop up with a link to download the YOUR.COM toolbar! This address does not show in the history of visited websites!

My homepage hasn't been hijacked but I won't know until tomorrow I suppose. It's unbelievable !

#35     May 26, 2004
  6. This is exactly what bugs* me about IE. I can restrict my web-surfing to a few trading related sites only. I can also stay at home for the next 10 years, washing my hands every 15 minutes.

* Pun intended

#36     May 26, 2004
  7. taodr

taodr

#37     May 26, 2004
  8. Bsulli

Bsulli

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

download cwshedder and it will take care of the coolwebsearch redir hijacks.

#38     May 26, 2004
  9. It's not an issue of your home page being hijacked. Your IE registry settings were probably compromised by a spyware trojan horse that you downloaded at some point. Check the IE hive in the registry for Search and Default page settings that are changing your page routing. Also, be sure to set your IE security to High for the Internet zone.

#39     May 26, 2004
  10. You can't be running around out there bare-assed it's a crazy crazy world :p .. you gotta install pop-up blockers, spyware destroyers, anti-viri apps.. AND you need a HARD FIREWALL ( @ least a soft one)

Now, go get em tiger! :D

#40     May 26, 2004