Internet Explorer 7.0

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Johnny Utah, Dec 1, 2006.

1. dchang0

dchang0

Tried it, had too many problems with crashing, pages not showing up, etc. Left it installed and upgraded my trusty Firefox 1.5 to 2.0, which is fast, stable, and features a great UI.

For those of you needing an IE-compatible browser for certain websites, you might want to try Maxthon, which offers IE-compatible rendering with tabbed browsing.

#21     Dec 7, 2006
  2. How safe are IE7 and Firefox 2.0 before the hackers exploit every security flaw?

#22     Dec 7, 2006
  3. piezoe

piezoe

I must second what others have said: Use Firefox , it is better, and faster, and safer than IE.

Perhaps the single most annoying thing about virtually all microsoft software is that subsequent versions run slower (there are no known exceptions!) and allow (encourage) more programs to run in the background, and consume storage with a myriad of useless optional features, e.g., dancing paper clips, plaid desktop backgrounds, ad nauseum. These "enhancements" have the effect of making your computer appear to get slower with time. This goes to the bedrock of microsoft's exceedingly successful and clever marketing tactic which is to force the acquisition of latest generation hardware in order to sell new OEM versions of their operating system. You do not have to buy into this however. If you have computer skills, you can periodically clean your computer of the unnecessary crap running in the background. And you always have Linux as an increasingly attractive option.

#23     Dec 7, 2006
  4. Prefer Firefox to 7.0. Went back to 6 like everyone else!:)

#24     Dec 7, 2006
  5. Nice call! Just installed it out of boredom this evening. I love it so far. Thanks for the tip.

#25     Dec 7, 2006
  6. IE7 is filled with corporate bugs...

Try FireFox 2 instead.

#26     Dec 12, 2006
  7. to recap, imo, if you want to stick with the IE engine, which is industry standard, you should go for Avant, which is a superb interface to IE.

if you want a whole new browser, go with firefox.

ps i saw no bugs in IE7 what so ever, also the interface does suck really bad. same goes for the new MS media player. if that's their new style, i'm not even remotely considering checking out the new Vista.

#27     Dec 14, 2006
  8. gkishot

gkishot

My personal observation is that firefox freezes when I have other Java apps running. Especially IB TWS.

#28     Dec 14, 2006
  9. Tried it for a bit, didn't like it and uninstalled it. I like to keep all the toolbars and such to a minimum to give more screen space. The tabbed browsing just takes up more of that space and I couldn't find a way to turn it off. What is so great about tabbed browsing anyway? Hasn't that always been there by having several IE programs runnning with the taskbars buttons available at the bottom of your screen?

#29     Dec 14, 2006
  10. to turn off tabs in ie7 goto tools->options->tabs settings and uncheck "enable tabs" on the top.

#30     Dec 14, 2006