Internet Connectivity Backup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alanmart, Feb 19, 2008.

1. alanmart

alanmart

I am currently using a high speed cable conneciton from Cablevision (Optimum). The speeds are good but once in a while I lose conectivity for a few minutes.

I would like to add a DSL conenction (SNET Now AT&T).

What is the best way to have both connecitons set up so that I can quickly switch from the Cable to DSL if the cable fails.

Are there routers that can handle both connections?

Any suggesitons from those with two internet connecitons?

Thank you,

ALan

2. Schaefer

Schaefer

3. dc101

dc101

4. maxpi

maxpi

The dual ethernet mobo failover looks like a good solution but if you want failover and the advantages of a hardware firewall the Hotbricks work ok in my experience and setup is not all that difficult....

5. alanmart

alanmart

Thank you for the posts. I just received the Xincom DPG502 and ordered a DSL to use in addition to cable.

I will install this weekend and post any comments.

6. i have used a bridge setup before... was alright no problem since we;re not talking about many computers..

7. alanmart

alanmart

I just connected the xincom DPG502 and it is working well. So far, I have not had to configure anything except to change the IP of my old wireless router so it can connect to the xincom for wireless access when needed.

I am waiting for the DSL activation so I currenlty only have the cable modem connected to the xincom. So far it feels good.

I will update after I connect the DSL to the WAN 2 port.