internet connection?

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by huge230, Nov 28, 2006.

1. huge230

huge230

Thanks for the replies. I have a both DSl and Cable available to me from different providers and both are pretty fast and reliable. So I guess having both on a dual wan router would be fine. In general though, would I want the DSL or Cable as my primary connection? I know the Cable would probably have a fatser download speed but not sure which is faster in terms of ping or lag time.

#11     Nov 28, 2006
  2. Last Result:
    Download Speed: 30238 kbps (3779.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 4444 kbps (555.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Verizon FIOS. Awesome. This for 54.95 a month on a promo. I was paying 74.95 for time warner premium which max was 8-10 mbps. If you want your own line its called a static ip thats 1 pipe/line..... If you like the busy stocks this would help you get the better prints if you scalp.

#12     Nov 28, 2006
  3. Sign up for dslreports.com and search feedback on providers to get an idea of what you might expect for lag and such. It's a bit of a crapshoot really. If you have both just check them both and then pick primary and secondary after doing testing with test tools on dslreports.com

Get a good dual wan router like the hotbrick from tigerdirect.com Search google there are feedback reports on which dual wan routers are good and not. Don't go cheap, you want to make sure it works. The hotbrick is about $200, but has had good reviews from my readings. You might have to have someone program it. Just take your time and do your research before jumping in.

#13     Nov 28, 2006
  4. huge230

huge230

Nice, thats fast. How much of a disadvantage would a person with a dual wan DSL/Cable compared to someone with Fiber be at? thanks for all the replies by the way

#14     Nov 28, 2006
  5. Damn I am jealous!:mad: :D Can I trade at your pad? Just kidding. :D What part of the country are you in? Here in Denver Qwest is king, or more like court joker IMO!:p

#15     Nov 28, 2006
  6. Live in New York

#16     Nov 28, 2006
  7. gnome

gnome

I trade in Denver, too..... with JTrader on dialup... but then, I'm not a scalper. :D

#17     Nov 28, 2006
  8. A static IP address is just a static IP address. It's not your own 'pipe'. Performance is likely to be exactly the same as with a dynamic IP address from the same provider.

In Aus, I have 8Mbit downstream 800K upstream ADSL for AUD 49.95 per month. Can be upgraded to 20 Mbit by installing an ADSL2 modem/router for same monthly charge. For all the whinging that goes on here about broadband pricing, it seems we are not too badly off.

#18     Nov 29, 2006
  9. billp

billp

Can anyone tell me how to see the download speed and upload speed? I only see 1 speed when I click on my internet connection. Thanks

#19     Nov 29, 2006
  10. J Trader on Dial Up? Are you on a Pentium 1 too! Just kidding!:D

#20     Nov 29, 2006