Internet Ammo Sales

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 377OHMS, Jul 30, 2012.

1. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Mixed feelings here.

It was convenient to buy ammo on the internet and I frankly have a boatload but I always thought you should have to show some ID or something to buy serious ammo like 7.62mm FMJ and other military type ammunition.

So I'm not sure what to think but believe that a total ban on internet sales is going to bankrupt quite a few businesses and isn't the right approach:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog...will-evaluate-bill-ban-online-munition-sales/

"White House spokesman Josh Earnest said Monday that President Obama will "evaluate" a new bill that would ban online ammunition sales in the wake of the shooting massacre in Aurora, Colo. That left 12 dead and dozens more injured.

During the daily press briefing, Mr. Earnest was asked whether Mr. Obama supports the measure, which aims to end sales of unlimited amounts of ammunition on the Internet and other mail orders. The bill also would force ammunition dealers to report large sales of bullets and other munitions to law enforcement authorities

At first Mr. Earnest said he didn't know if Mr. Obama was aware of a bill sponsored by Sen. Frank Lautenberg, Democrat from New Jersey, and Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, a Democrat from New York. He later amended this remarks to say the White House would evaluate the measure.

"The president's view that have been relayed quite frequently over the last few days, you know, is that he believes in the Second Amendment of the Constitution, in the right to bear arms but he also believes that we should take robust steps within existing law to ensure that guns don't fall in the hands of criminals or others [who] shouldn't have them," he said, referring to gun-control comments Mr. Obama made during at speech at the National Urban League.

The reporter followed up by asking whether the president's push for enforcing existing law would prevent him from supporting the bill banning online munition sales.

"Well, like I said, I haven't seen the specific piece of legislation that has been offered up today. But as those — as that and other pieces of legislation make their way through the legislative process, you know, we'll consider — we'll evaluate them as they make their way through the process," he noted."

2. Lucrum

Lucrum

FMJ, which would include most military ammo, isn't as destructive on a human tissue as hunting ammo; little to no expansion. Which is by design of course.
    In fact for that very reason most states don't allow FMJ for hunting, you're more likely to wound the animal than humanely kill it.

Having to "show some ID" does on the surface seem to make sense, even to me.
    BUT how easy is it to get a fake ID? And maybe more importantly what would showing an ID have done to prevent the Aurora shooting? The shooter wasn't wanted had no criminal record and was on no watch lists. IOW he would have gotten his ammo anyway.

Seems like I heard Holmes had something like six thousand rounds in his apartment. Certainly sounds like a lot, especially to someone predisposed to oppose firearms to begin with. BUT how many rounds were actually fired at the cinema? A hundred or so? IOW so what if he had 6K in his apartment?
    He couldn't carry 6K rounds if he had to. He could have had 6 millions rounds in his apartment, it would not have affected the outcome of the shooting any.

Even many of the so called "common sense" controls don't pass the test of common sense if you really stop and think about them.

The problem is you simply cannot successfully micro regulate stupidity or evil.

3. Oh yes...what a great idea to ban ammo sales on the internet. Yeah, that will work just as good as banning prescription drugs on the internet. So instead of getting american ammo online, you will get the ammo made in a 3rd world country with 3rd world quality. (Dont worry though...you will still pay first world prices!)

4. 377OHMS

377OHMS

I have a paid email account for important stuff and an free email account for more general usage. The free email account receives quite a bit of spam, I would say 5-10 spam messages per day. At least half of those messages are from Canada and are "pharmacies" trying to sell narcotic drugs which normally require a prescription in the USA. Its clearly a huge business and I've never understood why the DEA doesn't get the Canadians to put a stop to it.

Yeah, I'll bet that online ammo starts being sold from Canada just like drugs.

5. dcvtss

dcvtss

I can just hear the screams from the left now, "what about all the people who can't afford an ID? They're being denied their fundamental right to bear arms, it's too burdensome for some people to have to show ID!" /sarcasm