International brokers with branch in HK and/or funding through HK banks

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by luisHK, Aug 18, 2012.

1. HKIB

HKIB

hagen,

It became "J.P. Morgan Asset Management" a few years ago. You can put money in their money market fund and wire transfer the fund to a US brokerage account without any cost.

#11     Aug 20, 2012
  2. luisHK

luisHK

Hagen

The limits you posted are for Business internet banking - I'm quite satisfied with the limits I got on business accounts. The issue is with personal accounts.

#12     Aug 20, 2012
  3. hagen

hagen

OK.

I undestand you now.

#13     Aug 20, 2012
  4. luisHK

luisHK

HKIB

How does it work ? I checked quickly their website and it seems the company only offers to invest in their funds ( which have terribly high fees, includingseveral percent initial fee).

#14     Aug 20, 2012
  5. luisHK

luisHK

BTW one can fund a Tradestation futures account in HKD through their HK based bank account.

Any other broker ? But preferably allowing USD funding via a HK account, like Etrade or Saxo ?

#15     Aug 20, 2012
  6. hagen

hagen

Maybe you can transfer positions between brokers, but I don not the cost

#16     Aug 20, 2012
  7. HKIB

HKIB

You are right about the initial fee for other funds, but the HK$ money market fund incurs no initial fee. I just sent a check from my HK bank, they automatically put it into the HK$ money market fund.

#17     Aug 20, 2012
  8. HKIB

HKIB

Good idea. I plan to use TD Ameritrade to park my cash and use IB to trade. TD Ameritrade put my money automatically into two branches of the TD bank, so it provides the FDIC protection up to half a million US$.

It seems that banks or brokerage firms in Hong Kong do not have the kind of protection such as FDIC.

By the way, TD Ameritrade provides check-writing ability and online bill pay, and there is no data fee and inactivity fee and wire transfer both way is free if the account is >US$100,000. For IB, wire in is free, wire out once a month is also free.

#18     Aug 20, 2012
  9. luisHK

luisHK

Thanks HKIB, actually it appears they have similar market funds also denominated in USD, EUR and GBP ( edit in : other currencies money market funds are not funded through a JPM Hk based bank account). It might be a better option than keeping cash idle in a HK bank account if there are no transactions fee.

Also do you know if one can also still wire money out of those market funds to a US broker without wire fee, like you did with Jardine Fleming ?

#19     Aug 21, 2012
  10. HKIB

HKIB

You should call them to find it out because I have not used their service
    for many years. I am not sure my account with them is still valid, because it has zero balance for many years.

#20     Aug 21, 2012