Interindividual Heterogeneity of Adaptations to Resistance Training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Here is a post from another thread:

In support of this assessment, and by a different author:

INTERINDIVIDUAL HETEROGENEITY OF ADAPTATIONS TO RESISTANCE TRAINING

Abstract
    Research has shown that there is a large interindividual heterogeneity of strength gains and muscle hypertrophy in response to resistance exercise training. The subject of genetics is rarely discussed in the majority of resistance training studies and only a handful of studies have specifically focused on the range of responses to a specific training protocol. This review describes the training protocols and results of those studies. It questions why the preponderance of other resistance training studies have failed to address the interindividual heterogeneity of adaptations and challenges the belief that highly complex so-called periodization protocols can actually overcome genetic limitations.

The full paper can be read here:

https://www.researchgate.net/public...GENEITY_OF_ADAPTATIONS_TO_RESISTANCE_TRAINING

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  2. Commitment to a regular exercise program is crucial, but that's the easy part. Maintaining a consistent pattern of healthy eating is the hard part. Can't out train a bad diet, especially as we age.

wrbtrader likes this.
  3. Sure, but the point of the paper is not to waste too much time chasing the Holy Grail:

I received the above (excerpted) email from a different researcher than the one who wrote the paper posted above.

4. I agree, which is why I advocate just trying to be the best version of yourself with consideration of what you have to work with genetically.

5. The conclusion of the paper is worth reading; it's somewhat liberating:

Conclusions
    The previously discussed studies that reported and focused on the interindividual heterogeneity of responses to resistance training [1-12] all demonstrated that when a group of people participate in an identical resistance training program, their responses to that program vary considerably and apparently are primarily genetically determined.
    Many of us may have experienced delusional expectations regarding expected outcomes from resistance training [63]. The question is whether trainees should wallow in the delusion that they can somehow overcome their genetic limitations by obsessively experimenting with time consuming, highly complex, structured training protocols such as those inherent in periodization. Individuals who believe that they need to vary their traditional resistance training protocol could arbitrarily change specific exercises (e.g., flat bench press or declined bench press), types of resistance (e.g., free weights, machines or body weight exercises), different ranges of repetitions with a slightly higher or lower resistance (e.g., 4-6, 7-11, 12-14 reps), the number of sets for each muscle group, order of exercise, repetition duration, or rest between sets and exercises, from session to session or even for different muscle groups within a given session. There is very little compelling evidence–just a plethora of unsupported opinions and flawed studies–that obsessing over any or all of these training variables can alter an individual’s specific adaptation in a specific time frame or override the limitations of their genetic potential.

speedo and Baron like this.
  6. More of the same from two recent studies:

7. Baron

Baron ET Founder

It is a sobering reality to come to that point in your life when you realize that your genetic response to weight training is inferior to others around you. It hit me like a ton of bricks one day, but it also gave me a new vision for how I wanted to look moving forward. That's primarily why I started my single digit bodyfat journal. I figured if I can't be as big as others then perhaps I could become leaner than most, especially compared to those my age.

8. On balance, I don't think you're lacking in size. In the full light of day, would you really want to look like a pro bodybuilder? Personally, I'd rather look like a gymnast than a bouncer.

9. Baron

Baron ET Founder

In my younger years I did, but definitely not now. I think the biggest thing that people don't understand is that a pro bodybuilder looks good on stage but that's about it. The rest of the year they are just huge bloated blobs.

10. Trader13

Trader13

I suspect there are a lot of closet pill-poppers out there on a regimen of steroids or growth hormones who skew our perception of weight training and muscle growth. When I see an almost perfect specimen of whole body muscle development, rather than admiration I just say to myself "he must have some great pills".

#10     Sep 6, 2019