Interesting thoughts about God and society

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, Sep 9, 2003.

1. You can blame mankind for that one, not God! Blaming God for the weaknesses of man is a cop-out. God gave us free will and control of our own destiny. It's not His fault if we screw things up down here.

Blaming God and claiming He doesn't love us is like blaming a father for letting his son skateboard and get into an accident while trying a reckless stunt. Does that mean the father doesn't love the son? Nope. But the father has to let his son learn things the hard way, not pamper his existence. If you want God to take complete control of all our thoughts and desires, I don't think life would be worth living. We would all just be automatons. Free will is a double-edged sword.

Man must learn to take responsibility for his actions.

#11     Sep 10, 2003
  2. Spanky

Spanky

god exists in man's mind. you created "god" he did not create you. funny how that's the truth, but people like you think it's the other way around, sadly.

#12     Sep 10, 2003
  3. To each his own Spanky! You sound so sure of yourself. You must have some proof that has eluded the brightest scientific minds of the past few millennia!

Would you like to share your wisdom or is it only reserved for Alfalfa and the gang?

#13     Sep 10, 2003
  4. Spanky

Spanky

lol what are you claiming has, "eluded the brightest scientific minds of the past few millennia"??

please, please say you are not hinting that "god" is so great he can not be detected by science? rofl!!!

spank spank spanky

#14     Sep 10, 2003
  5. There is tons of evidence pointing to God using science. I'm not saying you can prove God. But try to debate the origin of life from naturalistic causes for example and I guarantee you you'll be in for a good fight.

#15     Sep 10, 2003
  6. There are also many genius level cosmologists, both theistic and non, who see incredible evidence for design in the physical constants of the universe, the solar system, etc. To say there is no evidence for theism is closing your eyes to a very interesting debate.

#16     Sep 10, 2003
  7. tampa

tampa

Did someone mention freewill? Ahh, the last refuge of the talking snake crowd.

Let’s keep this thread on topic, and refer back to the original post. It asserted that God permitted 9/11 because we had turned our back on Him. That was the entire point of the post. Now let’s use the “freewill” argument to debunk the “super natural”, or belief in a God who “permits” bad things to happen, or intervenes in matters to “prevent” bad things from happening.

The post clearly said that 9/11 was pernitted because of our evil ways – and that makes sense to many of you. It makes sense because you are not thnking about what you say that you believe. If all men are created by God, and endowed with “freewill”, then there was nothing God could do to dissuade the terrorists two years ago. Because had he done so, he would have had to suspend their “freewill”. So the concept that God permitted 9/11 to happen is absurd.

So if God is thought to be all powerful, and able to do anything, but was unable to prevent 9/11, then it stands to reason that God must not really be all powerful.

Now suppose that you were God – would you have permitted 9/11 to happen? Of course not. There is no way that you would have stood by and allowed such a senseless tragedy to occur. What does that say? It says that you are more loving than the God you would have me believe looks over us.

Would you like still more proof that you really don’t believe what you profess to believe? Try this one. Let’s assume that a loved one is very ill – near death. Would you do all you could to restore that loved one to good health? You would!?! And keep him or her from going to paradise? Keep him or her from going to be with God in paradise? See what I mean?

#17     Sep 10, 2003
  8. I don't need belief in some made-up, all powerful, all-knowing imaginary friend to restrain me from robbing, raping & murdering.

Unfortunately, many people are stupid enough to require irrational mysticism to keep them in line, so overall I'd agree that (non-Islamic) religion has a positive influence on our society.

I don't believe in God, but I find him quite useful...

#18     Sep 10, 2003
  9. LMAO

LMAO

:cool:

Me either.

#19     Sep 10, 2003
  10. I thought that the terrorists said they struck us on 9/11 because of our decadence. I guess I'm a little confused about what decadence is. Is not killing 3000 innocent (non-combatant)people decadent?

#20     Sep 10, 2003