Interesting Diatribe on Politics & Fear

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Avid_Consumer, Aug 14, 2006.

1. neophyte321

neophyte321 Guest

my apologies, after-the-fact, I realized that may offend.

"nutjob" is a matter of opinion, considering very little, if anything, is actually provable. I try to steer clear of disparaing anyone's faith. Unless that faith is destructive to me.

#11     Aug 14, 2006
  2. using fear to manipulate voters in this manner should probably be illegal

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061021/pl_nm/osama_dc

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Republicans unveiled an advertisement on Friday featuring the image and words of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden and a warning to voters that "these are the stakes" in the November 7 election.

The Republican National Committee ad, first shown on its Web site and scheduled for airing on cable television early next week, also includes images of al Qaeda fighters in training and other al Qaeda leaders.

"What is yet to come will be even greater," the ad quotes bin Laden as saying, before concluding with the words: "These are the stakes. Vote November 7."

President George W. Bush's Republicans, slipping in the polls from public dissatisfaction with the
    Iraq war, are fighting to retain control of Congress in the election. Democrats must pick up 15 House seats and six Senate seats to win a majority in each chamber.

Republicans hope to turn the debate in the campaign's closing stages back to their traditionally strong issues of national security and the war on terrorism, although recent polls show Democrats overtaking them on that turf.

Democratic Senate campaign committee spokesman Phil Singer called the ad a "desperate" effort to spur Republican voter turnout.

The bin Laden ad recalls one of the most famous American political ads, the 1964 "Daisy" ad used by Democratic President Lyndon Johnson in his race against conservative Republican Barry Goldwater.

It featured a small girl picking a daisy and a countdown to nuclear explosion before an announcer says, "These are the stakes."

#12     Oct 21, 2006