Interesting data on the US stock market

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Daal, Oct 19, 2017.

1. srinir

srinir

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    #11     Oct 20, 2017
    comagnum likes this.
  2. srinir

srinir

Infact real return is all positive for all countries in the dataset of DMS 2016 (Global Investment Returns Sourcebook 2016). There are two exceptions Russia and china (when they closed the market because of communism and seized all assets).
    Snap4.png

#12     Oct 20, 2017
  3. Daal

Daal

I wanna get a hold of this multi-country dataset going back 100 years (if anyone know where to get it in excel format for free, let me know). I'm interested in the volatility part not as much in the return part of it. I want to see if by using 10 year holding periods, how many countries do stocks beat bonds in terms of downside volatility. Then do the same in 20 year holding periods. Essentially, I want to see what is a better store of wealth and how often that store fails (like it did in Russia, China and in Cuba)
    I suspect it works in the vast majority of the countries and only fails ocasionally. That is, stocks are less risky than bonds once you extend your time horizon. So, not only you get more returns, but you protect your capital better. If you globally diversify, then, even more so as you would be protected against the Russia/China/Cuba scenario and other risks

#13     Oct 20, 2017
  4. In an overwhelming variety of cases, stocks are better as a store of wealth.

#14     Oct 20, 2017
  5. srinir

srinir

This is not you requested, but best free source for US is CRSP or shiller database, free global data for each country is impossible to get. Earliest free data for International developed market ex North america index goes back to 1970 (MSCI EAFE)

Credit suise does produce impressive handbook every year, which goes back farther
    http://publications.credit-suisse.c...fm?fileid=B8FDD84D-A4CD-D983-12840F52F61BA0B4

#15     Oct 20, 2017
  6. Yeah, you're absolutely right that if you sample across stocks, your distribution will start to normalize--particularly if weighted by market cap. (Which was actually clear from your first post; I was reading @tommcginnis's posts and just kinda glazed over the lead in to them). It would be interesting to repeat the methodology for individual Dow components.

#16     Oct 20, 2017
  7. ironchef

ironchef

I am very impressed beerntrading. Question for you: Knowing this why are you selling premium?

Regards,

#17     Oct 20, 2017
  8. ironchef

ironchef

I thought the longer the time frame, the less it resembles a log normal distribution (less random)?

#18     Oct 20, 2017
  9. ironchef

ironchef

Are there algorithm that can extract the trend from the variance?

#19     Oct 20, 2017
  10. Haha, I know, right?!

The short answer is that I still win if it stagnates. Also, all those cut both ways, so there isn't an inherent disadvantage to being on the short side, and nor do they imply an advantage to the long side.

...which brings me to, knowing that it happens is not the same as knowing how. And the margins are fine enough that qualified academics with extensive data can disagree on the best way to model it with none able to prove conclusively they're right.

And the week-long time frames I deal in might be described by different curves, but not so much within the middle percentiles that one distribution gives a clear advantage vs. another. But they're all things I take into consideration...I'm more concerned about how a distribution curve is skewed than which curve I'm skewing.

#20     Oct 20, 2017