Interesting conversation with a research meteorologist

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by revet, Sep 21, 2021.

1. revet

revet

I grew up in the U.S., and have a friend since grade school who is a research meteorologist for a particular program. We met this past weekend to have a few beers and catch up. I brought up a topic we learned in Mrs. Fischer's 7th grade science class about the earth and a particular aspect of the earths position over time in resect to it's axis and how that may effect climate change. His response was kind of informing and possibly frightening. He mentioned that it has been looked into and the studies indicate that this is a contributing factor and has occurred throughout the history of the earth. He also mentioned that he was informed it wasn't something to bring out publicly as the science is centered on man made climate change, and that is where the work and funding is to go at this time. He did say they have no problem with the science of man made climate change, but the combination in regards to other factors is something they are supposed to let go for now, other than for their own research and knowledge.
    Hmm

ipatent likes this.
  2. A massive planet tilt would be a humongous disaster.

3. revet

revet

Massive is relative when referencing tilt on the earth's axis. The tilt variances are small, but occur regularly, and have an impact as to the earths solar radiation coverage and the effects from these changes.

4. userque

userque

It's not a "secret." I recall watching PBS/NOVA programs on the subject years ago.

The tilt cycle is 40,000 years.

The immediate concern is our release of greenhouse gases. After that, we can worry about the tilt and far away asteroids etc.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/Milankovitch/milankovitch_2.php

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    cesfx likes this.
  5. revet

revet

I didn't say it was a secret, I said it was brought up by our 7th grade teacher which is roughly 40 years ago. The piece that I found interesting was my friend clearly saying it wasn't something they were supposed to spend time on or make grant proposals for studying further as to any impact and contribution to climate change. He felt the reasons weren't valid to exclude the inclusion of study on the topic, and the possibility that it is amplifying the impact of human contributions.

6. userque

userque

Ok, I understand.

But it makes sense to me also, to utilize resources on what can be "quickly" changed, vrs. what can't be changed.

The tilt changes so slowly that, over the next few generations or more, it kinda is just like a constant baseline; an unchangeable constant factor.

I think to include it into the debate now, and/or with regard to grants, etc., would just muddy the waters more than anything else.

7. ipatent

ipatent

I posted something anonymously on a message board about 20 years ago that undermined global warming, and received an out of the blue invitation from an old professor a few day later to read his climate change book. Like the Twilight Zone.

8. Tomseller

Tomseller

I'm interested in the topic of global warming, so I'll insert my five cents. People play a big role in this since we consume the earth's resources and pollute everything around us. But, don't forget that there have already been periods of both global warming and cooling in the entire history of our planet, which is evidence-based facts. I read a lot to find more information about this as I need to help my son with a school project on this topic. Time is cyclical, and everything repeats itself, so it seems to me that humanity rather plays only the role of an accelerator in this process. But, this is just my opinion.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021