Interesting article.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by praetorian2, Sep 28, 2003.

1. ertrader1

ertrader1 Guest

Interesting Article......but Niederhoffer has talked about such stuff for decades. At UofC he has a few papers written on Luner effects, weather Patterns and other electronic current patterns that can simulate the market, effect the market, etc.

Very odd stuff, but interesting.

#21     Sep 30, 2003
  2. man

man

i feel as bored by your arguments as you probably feel with mine ... thanks for the talk.

peace

#22     Sep 30, 2003
  3. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

Its not really interesting ..... this stuff has been pitched for decades. Its amazing to me how many people on the floor of the Merc - usually those heading for account blowouts looking for anything to help them - when I was there would consider spending two minutes of their time on this ......

.. And IMHO just because ther was some connection to UofC only proves to me that not everyone at UofC is that bright ..... Lots of stuff at academic institutions is looked at when people have a bit of free time and many times it is merely to refute a claim.

Long story short: look in detail at this and it ceases to be of interest.

I know of no study in a peer reviewed journal that shows correlations of financial markets to lunar cycles. If there is a such a conclusive study then please cite the references here ....

#23     Sep 30, 2003
  4. #24     Sep 30, 2003
  5. ...it would be truly extraordinary if you had indeed talked to William of Occam, since he lived in the twelfth century. Could you arrange a seance for me? Or are you corresponding with us from there?

Or be it could one some jiving us talk self to? Harryman? Mantrader?

Only explanation rational other talk we random salad word generator to.

#25     Sep 30, 2003
  6. This is a study made on researchers publications on the use of parametric tests :

"Restrictions of parametric tests

Ignore these restrictions and go ahead with the analysis. Hopefully your thesis advisor or the journal editor falls asleep while reading your paper. Indeed, this is a common practice. After reviewing over 400 large data sets, Micceri (1989) found that the great majority of data collected in behavioral sciences do not follow univariate normal distributions. Breckler (1990) reviewed 72 articles in personality and social psychology journals and found that only 19% acknowledges the assumption of multivariate normality, and less than 10% considered whether this assumption had been violated. Having reviewed articles in 17 journals, Keselman et al(1998) found that researchers rarely verify that validity assumptions are satisfied and they typically use analyzes that are nonrobust to assumption violations."

:D

This is also said by a statistician :
    "In my experience, many researchers do not even know what a "parametric test" is and what specific assumptions are attached to different tests. To conduct responsible research, one should contemplate the philosophical paradigms of different schools of thought, the pros and cons of different techniques, the research question, as well as the data structure. The preceding options are not mutually exclusive. Rather than they can be used together to compliment each other and to verify the results. For example, Wilcox (1998, 2001) suggested that the control of Type I error can be improved by resampling trimmed means."

DO YOU SEE THE TERM "PARADIGM" I MYSELF OFTEN TALK ABOUT ?

#26     Sep 30, 2003
  7. Conclusion: be carefull with research publications in psychological fields, behind the apparent rigor of statistical formulas, craps can be well hidden when the basic premisces for the methodology are not even checked. Sometimes the very reason why they are not checked in psychological field is that this field is well different from physics field and that the researcher conciously or unconciously omitted it. That is why I have always said that a long as you don't know some deterministic law or at least some fundamental factors that are rationally justified as sure premisces the statistical test although significant - and sometimes only apparently - can be very doubtful at least as for their interpretation.

#27     Sep 30, 2003
  8. ertrader1

ertrader1 Guest

I agree....Lunar cycles and trading are a far reach. I just find it interesting reading. As far as VIC is concerned, he is a very interesting person. And, he is doing very very well these days by not using lunar cycle theory. LOL

#28     Sep 30, 2003
  9. T-REX

T-REX

Hey ert.

Hey H.T. I love to read your stuff.:D :)

DUDE. I had a client once that was in to Astrology and the like.
    Need I say that he made my commissions for the month. OH BOY!!

As an X-Futures/Commodities Broker...............I LOVE THESE TYPES OF TRADERS.........THEY MADE ME RICH!!!!:D

#29     Sep 30, 2003
  10. man

man

#30     Oct 1, 2003