Interested in investment banking

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by tease, Apr 2, 2008.

1. tease

tease

Hi,

I'm just about to apply for college, and i wanted to get some good information from experienced traders on what kinds of classes that can help me to get ahead on the job market in investment banking when im searching for a job in a few years.

what would make me stick out and have investment services want me?

thank you

2. CateFul

CateFul

If you want to work for an iBank, get an MBA.

If you want to be a trader, get some money and start losing it now.

3. Quote from tease:

Hi,

I'm just about to apply for college, and i wanted to get some good information from experienced traders on what kinds of classes that can help me to get ahead on the job market in investment banking when im searching for a job in a few years.

Don't hold your breath, there may be a huge shakeout in the investment banks.

If you are thinking IT, fine. But if you plan to be a trader, (automated) algorithmic trading is taking over these jobs rapidly.

what would make me stick out and have investment services want me?

Try showing some leg

:D

4. Investment Banks are old school. You are nothing but a glorified salesman selling "investments" to suckers.

5. Are you talking about selling securities (broker) or advising companies and capital raising (investment banking)?

6. Here is the most relevant question? Where are you gonig to college? this will be the SOLE determinant of worknig for an investment bank NOT what classes you take.

7. tease

tease

Im talking about advising companies...

Im thinking of going to school in sweden because of the money and the education is same if not better, would that make a big difference, me studying in a different country?

8. I was under the impression Sweden had a HUGE tax on the wealthy...

9. hellyes

hellyes

He said he was going to college... he won't be wealthy for at least a few more years.

10. UNLESS you are going to an Ivy League School or Top Schools like: Berkeley, UVA, Georgetown, possibly Williams forget about an I-Bank giving you the time of day. They only recruit from these select school. I-Banks conclude that if you are not smart and desciplined enough to get into one of these schools then you aren't smart and disciplined to work for them.

#10     Apr 4, 2008