Interest rates.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by slider123456, Jul 23, 2008.

1. I am not trying to be mean either but the actual problem is not that I did not go to economics it is that you have alot of preconceived notions because of the way you were taught about how interest works. You're ideas are clouding your way of thinking and making it seem much more complicated than it really is.

People do not decide how much they can borrow if they did economies would fall apart in a week. The debt problem of the private banks right now is their own fault by overextending themselves and giving out risky loans that should not have been made. When there is no interest borrowing would be no where near as risky as their would be less market fluctuations.

Inflation is caused when the interest a bank gives you is less than the inflation. When people realize their money will buy less tomorrow than today they invariably decide to trade it for something that holds its value better. When you take interest rates out of the equation the average inflation will not change much.

The best way to think of this type of system is that it is not money but barter notes that are very hard to counterfeit.

The only thing the government would have to do is make sure that there was enough barter notes to cover the goods it is meant to buy.

The government's role in lending would be to make sure the loan is not too risky and printing the notes.

#11     Jul 23, 2008
  2. I think what slider is asking is why most of the money circulated is some type of loan?

because global economy is based on leverage, specially america's

the more you are trusted the more leverage you get, america was trusted so they get higher leverage

get good connections and you will get tips on when to buy or sell, that is what leverage is for, it really makes the rich richer and sucks the f*ck out of the average person

---

now he is asking why can't we have a system where no one can collect interest and so there are hardly any loans given to anyone, so basically no one gets leverage and so it is fair play

but slider, many would argue it is actually fair to give leverage to the person who has proven to be trustworthy, that way there is opportunity for him who proves himself reliable (actually for him who has good connections), yes and so that is how we build the land of opportunity

#12     Jul 23, 2008
  3. Loans could still be given to businessmen with experience just like now. The two things that would change would be no more interest and much less inflation in the market.

There was a period 2-5 years after the Great Depression when everyone was surprised that prices were actually going down. Say they worked a day and were able to buy a a dinner they were surprised a week later when it would buy them 2 dinners. This happened because we find more and more efficient ways to do things as time goes on.
    It probably took an hour to can some peaches 100 years ago but now it would take 2 seconds. That should continually lead to cheaper prices over time but they are going up and the reason is the massive interest that is owed to the banks.

Today on T.V. they reported that a mans cost of living went up $4000 but his salary went up $1500 this is not an uncommon story right now. It makes no sense because things should get cheaper due to at least a small increase in efficiency.

When you consider the amount of money that private banks made off of everyone who bought a house you realize that it is insane to continue this way. A 30 year $200,000 costs $300,000 in interest. We work our whole lives to pay that off and the bank makes it by giving us some paper. If we default they still take our house the amount of risk verses the reward shows that this is a big scam. The only time they ever risk anything is when house prices goes down which has happened once the Great Depression other than that they go up on average.

#13     Jul 23, 2008
  4. No Slider,

the problem is that you are suggesting a world in which progress is very slow, while taking for granted a world in which progress has been quick. Your problem doesn't seem to be with the issuer of the currency or the currency itself, it seems that you have a problem with the fractional reserve system. I agree that there is a problem with this system, but not to the extent that I would eliminate it as you would.

Essentially, that is what you are talking about. Not the elimination of interest, but actually the elimination of fractional reserve lending. You should realize though, that even in the days of your beloved "greenback" there was fractional reserve lending. At the time it was 50% instead of the 10% required today. Increasing the fractional reserve requirement has the effect of slowing an economy down. In your example we would essentially increase it to 100% which makes rapid growth impossible.

So you are sitting here researching this topic and exchanging in dialogue on a computer/internet that wouldn't exist for another couple hundred years under your proposed barter system.

#14     Jul 23, 2008
  5. tr51

tr51

are you moslum? interest is not allowed per the Koran. maybe you should move to Saudi and try to get a loan.

#15     Jul 23, 2008
  6. You don't understand, there is no such thing as no more interest. Opportunity cost will be compensated for somehow. Generally, it is with taxes in your system. So which system is more fair, one in which the borrower pays interest, or one in which the public pays interest as tax?

#16     Jul 23, 2008
  7. I can guarantee you I would be much much happier in a slower system than having to work 2 hours extra every week that goes by to have the same quality of life. Our quality of life is worse now than it was 30 years ago. 30 years ago 1 man could support his wife and two kids easily now both parents have to work in order to get the same quality of life and it keeps getting worse. If the money the banks get stayed in our pckets that would rapidly reverse. As I pointed out above the banks make $300,000 dollars on a &200.000 loan half of our production goes to them. If we got rid of that interest we would only have to work 4 hours a day to pay of that house instead of 8 or we could work 8 and pay it off in half the time.

#17     Jul 23, 2008
    #18     Jul 23, 2008
  9. sjfan

sjfan

You would be much happier. Not me. You. You are willing to constrain the happiness of everyone on the planet to your own preference.

So not only are you unable to grasp the concept of opportunity cost (and instead cast it some sort of an evil conspiracy much like the primitive man would attribute thunder to the work of gods), you also seem to believe that how you would like to live is how the world will want to live.

Thank god your system hasn't a snowball of a chance of making any sense.

#19     Jul 23, 2008
  10. You are telling me you would rather work longer and longer hours for the same quality of life then work less for the same quality of life or the same hours for increasing quality of life. You would rather give banks huge percentages of your income to provide a service you could get for a much much lower cost.

I do not believe most people on this planet want to work more and more hours every year for the same quality of life. This would not necessarily slow down our technological innovation and would most likely increase it It would be up to each individual what they wanted to do with their extra free time
    There is no conspiracy theory go to a mortgage calculator and you will see $300,000 dollars in a 30 year $250,000 loan. If we did not pay interest all the money we have paid as interest would be in our economic system. Instead it is being lent back to us for us to pay interest on it again. Do you know how much money that would be in the history of this country? Do you think an efficient bartering system is worth that kind of money.

#20     Jul 23, 2008