InteractiveBrokers, Oh My!

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by cscott, May 12, 2006.

1. were i'm at comcast blows away dsl. it depends were one is at i guess

#71     Aug 7, 2006
  2. ids

ids

48-91 is a pretty good ping time. This time will not necessary decrease because it depends not only from your connection speed. The line throughput does not matter too much for TWS. Any broadband service should be enough. You definitely do not want to share line with many of your neighbors though. Cable is not that good in the city by this reason. Village cable is normally OK. The quality of connection is probably the thing to care about. If you bet serious money, you better have two connections for backup purposes.

#72     Aug 7, 2006
  3. alanm

alanm

FWIW, recently-built or upgraded cable systems (i.e. where fiber replaced coax) seem to have been engineered with enough capacity, even in high-density areas. I get the rated 3Mbps from Charter at pretty much any time of day, assuming the uploading site has the capacity. Others I've talked to report similar experiences. Much more reliable and fast than Verizon DSL's 768K for me.

#73     Aug 8, 2006
  4. If you bet serious money, you better have two connections for backup purposes.

You don't view us as sick gamblers do you?

#74     Aug 9, 2006
  5. ids

ids

No, it is just a way to say that necessity of backups of any kind is a function of amount of money involved.

#75     Aug 9, 2006
  6. :)

#76     Aug 9, 2006