InteractiveBrokers "hyper-hypothecates" $14.5b of Customer Funds?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Chicago_CTA, Dec 7, 2011.

1. MKTrader

MKTrader

Obama's biggest fundraiser on Wall St. has the last name of Corzine, imbecile.

#11     Dec 7, 2011
  2. And he was a whisker away from becoming the next Treasury Secretary...The fucking train has completely gone off the rails.

#12     Dec 7, 2011
  3. southall

southall

We need to do our own dd also, does anyone know which filing would contain this information. have looked in the IBKR quarterly filing 10-Q. Big document but does not mention 'hypo' anything even once.

#13     Dec 7, 2011
  4. JamesL

JamesL

IB is a piker compared to the real TBTF i-banks/commericial banks.
    Yeah, little family firms like FC Stone. :D

#14     Dec 7, 2011
  5. Nick29

Nick29

Zerohedge will love this story.

#15     Dec 7, 2011
  6. The only answer is to avoid futures and trade equities and/or ETFs.

#16     Dec 7, 2011
  7. Options12

Options12 Guest

Look at the last paragraph on page eight:

http://www.finra.org/web/groups/industry/@ip/@reg/@notice/documents/notices/p122388.pdf

It appears that the calculation that would be most helpful in monitoring the hypothecation risk is computed once a week, on Friday. But I don't know where it might be reported.

#17     Dec 7, 2011
  8. saico

saico

MF Global had a completely different business model than IB, which is a pure online brokerage firm. MF was engaged in several other businesses. The shortfall came when their own huge positions in italian bonds went down the road. They tried to compensate these draw downs with client funds what didnt helped them when the firm went broke.

#18     Dec 7, 2011
  9. Nick29

Nick29

Why do IB need a hyper hypothecate provision in their customer agreement then?

#19     Dec 7, 2011
  10. LEAPup

LEAPup

"If anyone thought that you couldn’t have your cake and eat it too in the world of finance, MF Global shows how you can have your cake, eat it, eat someone else’s cake and then let your clients pick up the bill. Hard cheese for many as their dough goes missing." Sad!!!

I can imagine the farmers who used MF to hedge will have to pass costs on.

#20     Dec 7, 2011