InteractiveBroker's ARCA is too slow!

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by hsanson, Apr 11, 2001.

1. hsanson

hsanson

Anyone working for IB can investigate why ARCA takes up to 6 seconds to go live using IB's JAVA Trader Workstation ? ? I am tired of all mornings having this same problem. It is impossible to trade this way.

DEF: if you read this message please tell management to investigate this issue. It happens all the time during 1st hour of morning which is the time where the best opportunities for trading are.

hsanson

2. mjt

mjt

Have you tried using REDI? It uses the same order routing algorithm.

3. hsanson

hsanson

mjt: Yeah, I have used REDI, but REDI doesnt allow Odd lots (<100 shares) trading. ARCA does.

hsanson

4. def

def Sponsor

hsanson,
    I pass your message along. my instinct tells me that it has something to do with odd lots. If when I hear something I pass the info to you.

5. hsanson

hsanson

Def:
    I test the ARCA route with 100 shares lots. 2 days ago I was trading 100 share lots during the morning and ARCA route took 4-6 secs to go green. I missed some price levels in the morning due to this . So I think the problem is not in odd lots, I spoke with other EDAT traders and they say their platforms (Realtick III) have ARCA live in less than 1 second.
    Again, Def, thanks for hearing my comments and hope I can be valuable for IB to fix this.

hsanson

6. Heck, my arca trades through Datek Direct are filled in less than one second....

7. dlincke

dlincke

The slowness of ARCA at IB is not just a problem at the open but persists throughout the trading day and is independent of order size. The same problem exists with INCA and despite numerous complaints from customers for som inexplicable reason IB simply does not seem to care. Theses delays that other EDAT broker's systems don't exhibit have been around ever since I started using IB in early 2000. I believe the delays are due to inadequate leased line capacity to those ECNs which is kind of sad cosnidering that IB states "best execution" as its topmost priority in its mission statement.

DEF, if you're reading this, I'm sure most active daytraders among IB's customers would very much appreciate it if you could bring these problems to the attention of top management so that finally some measures are taken to remedy the situation. Unfortunately, emailing the helpdesk has proved a rather fruitless endeavor so far.

Dave

8. def

def Sponsor

dlinke,
    Another upgrade to the INCA line/connection has been ordered. As for ARCA, there was some new code that went in on Thursday. I'm not sure what it was for but hopefully this is directly linked to the speed. Either way, I'm sure this will be looked into.