Interactivebrokers account security

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by irniger, Dec 19, 2008.

1. irniger

irniger

The use of the IB security token is sometimes a nuisance, time consuming and often leads to login errors. I am thinking of returning the token and then login and trade without it, as I did before the token was introduced.

A question for anybody not using the IB security token: Did you ever have problems with identity theft or any other security issues with your IB account?

Thanks for your answers.

Best regards, Felix

2. If you do this, you are insane.

This is the single barrier that prevents a hacker from keylogging your username/password and emptying your account.

Here is a recent slashdot article. Cyber crime is becoming more and more mainstream. Don't assume you're immune.

3. cstfx

cstfx

If you don't want to use the token, limit your login from ONE ip address. Of course this only works if you have a staic ip addy, such as cable or T1, but if you are using dsl, no can do.

The token is for your safety. If you elect opt out, and your account is breached, you are SOL with IB.

4. moarla

moarla

i have dsl and have static IP...

5. moarla

moarla

what java version u are using? with the latest version login with token is quick and without any troubble (1.0.6.11)

6. cstfx

cstfx

OK, but most dsl is dynamic. Don't know whether you are paying extra for yours or not (don't know where you are) but most residential dsl is dynamic address.

7. Bob111

Bob111

add another user and you can login\trade on his behalf without token
    i have multiple separate accounts and literally handful of those tokens,along with cards and not having any problems using them..

8. The electronic token is a pain to use, but if you return it, then call them to request the security credit card. It has a bunch of codes and you have to pick the pairs that IB asks you. It makes it quicker and easier to carry around.

9. Sounds like you are using the Platinum device which is a challenge response type.

[​IMG]

The Gold device is much easier, you just type in the current value shown which changes every 20 seconds or so by itself. No need to enter a challenge code or PIN into the device. Much easier.

[​IMG]

10. Bob111

Bob111

mmmm..i disagree..and it's not a credit card :D
    it's just a plastic card with 200+ letters\digits combos... that one is really a pain..specially after sunday party :D
    the device at bottom in Businessman post is way easier than anything else. you press one button-it's show you 6 digits code. very simple. maybe OP should ask for this particular model?

#10     Dec 19, 2008