Interactive forced account migration and consequent loss of account protection

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by zorroverde, Apr 22, 2013.

1. IB always said IB UK customers were covered.
    I guess this was B.S.

Can anyone confirm one or the other ?

#11     Jun 21, 2013
  2. trade2live,just bother to read the first post of this thread.There you find all explained.If you need more,just pm me.
    zorroverde

#12     Jun 21, 2013
  3. I read it of course, but it's not very clear to me . If I understand correctly, SIPC coverage is dependent on the type of products traded. I didn't know it was the case. IB UK customers would be covered by SIPC for their US activity but say you trade mostly US equities, and occasionnaly european ETF's options or futures, which part of your account is protected by SIPC and which part depends on FSCS ?

#13     Jun 22, 2013
  4. Hi trade2live,

for the time being it will affect only non-US derivatives.After June30
    (latest of several deadlines) you can only trade those if you have created/opened a special sub account (of your original US or UK-based main account).US-based derivatives of the securities sector continue to have SIPC protection,non US derivatives won't.As there seems to be no improvement (as hinted by IB) in margin requirement
    I would think you get less than before...And IB is saving insurance premium with Lloyds London.

#14     Jun 22, 2013
  5. dont

dont

So basically if you only trade US derivatives you are covered by SIPC?

#15     Jun 23, 2013
  6. DONT,it's not that simple.Only as long as the underlyings of the derivatives you are trading have securities character-i.e stocks and stock indices.Also the cash funds you hold for related margin requirements and equity purchases are protected..Details you find on the SIPC website...
    zorroverde

#16     Jun 23, 2013
  7. dont

dont

Basically I trade us equities and options thereon also currency futures at the CME

But I have a large cash balance, clearly the UK insurance will not cover it, hence my concern.

#17     Jun 25, 2013