Interactive Brokers

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by olga1994, Sep 18, 2019.

1. olga1994

olga1994

Hi guys!
    I registered because I had a question about orders in IBKR and wanted to see if maybe someone could help me out. I went through all the threads under IBKR and I couldn't find somebody who had asked the same question.

Is it possible to enter a stop order that adjusts to my current position size?
    This is the way I usually trade:
    See attached.

E.g. Entry 100 shares on a stop order at 1 with a stop loss at point 3.

Exit 50 shares (1/2 the position) at point 2, which upon execution, I normally go manually and adjust the stop size.

Would it be possible to enter these with bracket orders that adapt to my current position in the market?

Thanks to anybody who is kind enough to take time away from their day to help me.
    Olga.-

2. Instead of submitting one stoploss order for the entire position size (e.g. 100 shares) you can submit two stoploss orders (e.g. 50 shares for each stoploss order). If you want to do this you should not open your position using a bracket order, but simply by an opening order. The two stoploss orders are then submitted separately.

3. El_Cubano

El_Cubano

There is no stop loss with automatic size adjustment. You need to have multiple stops

4. olga1994

olga1994

I understand. I'm trading FX however where I am going to get triggerred overnight, and there is no way I enter without stops protecting the full position.

5. Maybe I did not express myself properly. What I mean is that you submit two stoploss orders at the time when you open your position. You are not limited to only have one stoploss order.
    Random example, with random prices:
    Enter into a position:
    buy 100 shares AAPL at 100.00 (MKT or LMT order, whatever you prefer).
    Submit two stoploss orders at the same time:
    sell 50 shares AAPL at 99.01 (STP or STP LMT, whatever you prefer, GTC)
    sell 50 shares AAPL at 99.00 (STP or STP LMT, whatever you prefer, GTC)
    Now your entire position is protected by stoploss orders.

6. olga1994

olga1994

Right but that would mean that I would have to be watching the market at the time the entry executes.
    What I need is for a bracket order to get split in two so to say.
    If I do what you're suggesting chances are that the market could drop and I would be short instead of long.

7. You hadn't mentioned that you submit entry orders without seeing them being filled.
    In that case you don't submit one entry order with attached stoploss order, but submit two entry orders, each with their own stoploss order.
    Or you don't use IB's TWS but program via their API. In that case is it possible to have one entry order, and two stoploss orders submitted once the entry order is filled.