Interactive Brokers with TWS or Ninjatrader?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by KageRyu, Sep 14, 2011.

1. KageRyu

KageRyu

Hi everyone,

I am a long time lurker, and now member. I have a few questions as I want to open a new trading account and will focus on day trading.

1) What are your experiences/opinions on Interactive Brokers for day trading? If you have other suggestions, please list them.

2) What are your experiences/opinions on using TWS or Ninjatrader with Interactive Brokers?

3) I don't plan on using a margin account for day trading, I'd like to stick with at least $25,000 in cash for now. Any advice regarding day trading in general? I plan on trading mainly stocks/ETFs.

I do have experience with trading stocks/ETFs using Fidelity but I did not like their platform at all. Terrible charting and limited choice of indicators.

2. NinjaTrader_Ray

NinjaTrader_Ray ET Sponsor

NinjaTrader was conceived out of personal frustration using TWS.

That being said, we have thousands of users who choose to supplement TWS by using NinjaTrader in front of it. At the end of the day, you can connect NinjaTrader to TWS and use it for free for as long as you wish (limited to simulated trading) and you can compare the features/benefits of NinjaTrader over TWS and decide what is best for your type of trading.

3. I`m very happy with NT + IB :)

Some are happy with TWS as well, so you should try it yourself.

Good luck.

4. KageRyu

KageRyu

Thanks for the replies.

I would prefer charting on NT while filing orders through TWS. NT has great library of indicators. Is that feasible or would putting orders through NT be just as fast?

5. NinjaTrader_Ray

Putting orders through NinjaTrader is faster...that's why I developed it initially ;)

6. Gerry_N

Gerry_N

Hello everyone

I'm coming off MT4 & would like to explore a professional platform & trading software. I've come to the realisation that I've been trading blind on MT4 because of its obvious limitations. I've done some extensive background reading on ninjatrader & interactive brokers without actually downloading either platform. I'm quite intrigued on how NT actually works on IB-TWS & what the advantages & benefits are over using the stand alone TWS.
    An in-depth explanation on how NT works as a front end trading software would be greatly appreciated or a link thereof.

Regards

Gerry

7. Overnight

Overnight

You win the "oldest-thread bump-of-the-month" award!

In seriousness, NT's front-end for trading is very intuitive and smooth. The strategy and stop-strategy portions are also not too bad once you get used to the conventions. Like MT it has one-click and on-chart trading. Unsure what exactly you might be looking for as far as "front-end-trading", I can only give you testimonial as to the actual trading bit I have experience with. Also, I have never used TWS so do not know how that one might compare.

It can't hurt to just download the free version and get a demo key setup with your datafeed to give it a whirl.

8. Gerry_N

Gerry_N

My first post & I'm already a recipient the cherished monthly accolade! Not bad for starters...lol. More specifically what I'm asking is;1). Can I use NT on TWS demo A/c;2). Can delayed market data & real time data from IB populate NT's charts;3). Does IB provide historical tick data for back testing;4). If I decide to go LIVE who provides the data feed & does it matter who is the source;5). What is the difference between IB's demo & paper A/cs;6). Is there a lag when routing orders NT to IB;7). Will execution of orders in IB be filled at the same price as orders entered in NT;8). Can an order routed from NT be manually changed in TWS;8).

9. NinjaTrader_Ray

If you already have an IB account, you can simply download the NinjaTrader platform from our website and use it fully featured (excluding live trades in a funded account) for as long as you wish. Answers to some more of your specific questions can be addressed by reaching out to us here https://ninjatrader.com/Help.

10. What do you mean by "(excluding live trades in a funded account)"?

#10     Aug 14, 2019