Interactive Brokers TWS Bug Thread

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Kensho, Jun 23, 2011.

1. TWS is spewing this non-stop into my terminal now, version 920.4:

10:42:38:956 JTS-usfarmDispatcher-57: Error: no ec for deep server tag 24834
    10:42:39:705 JTS-usfarmDispatcher-57: Error: no ec for deep server tag 24834
    10:42:39:706 JTS-usfarmDispatcher-57: Error: no ec for deep server tag 24834
    10:42:40:464 JTS-usfarmDispatcher-57: Error: no ec for deep server tag 24834
    10:42:41:151 JTS-usfarmDispatcher-57: Error: no ec for deep server tag 24834
    10:42:41:966 JTS-usfarmDispatcher-57: Error: no ec for deep server tag 24834
    10:42:42:722 JTS-usfarmDispatcher-57: Error: no ec for deep server tag 24834
    10:42:43:454 JTS-usfarmDispatcher-57: Error: no ec for deep server tag 24834

I'm running Kubuntu 11.10 (fresh install). As an aside, the same 15-second chart lockup issue exists under the KDE environment as it did under Unity under Ubuntu 11.10.

#41     Nov 9, 2011
  2. ignl

ignl

Hmm I'm trying and evaluating demo on my Kubuntu 11.10, and there are lots of problems. Sometimes on exit it just hangs up, and I have to manually kill it. For some reason right click in quote monitor stopped working. And charting... Application often stops working if chart is modified (especially zoom in/ zoom out), sometimes add study simple does not work (for example i have added stochastic on one day 5 min chart successfully, but it didn't work on 1 week 1 hour chart). Software is slow and cumbersome. I could get used to it, but I did not even try anything advanced yet so who knows what other problems it has. Right now it simply looks unusable to me. Maybe more problems because demo version? Or maybe windows version is better?

#42     Nov 11, 2011
  3. Try another version like Xubuntu 11.04 or even Ubuntu 10.04. It is probably not best to be on the bleeding edge with Ubuntu versions nowadays. I've not had problems with either of these and Ubuntu 10.04 is a long-term support release.

Also, Fedora is a nice alternative as well. I just tried 15sec charts on it and they seem work fine. I will keep two or three 15sec charts open all day today and report back. I normally keep TWS running 24/6 and seldom get a problem under Linux (except when it is related to IB's midnight US reset that is!).

It is also likely that there could be an issue with your Java configuration and how much memory you are allocating to TWS. Check the startup script and make sure you are giving it at least 768M of memory to work with.

#43     Nov 30, 2011
  4. I have problems with API-ddl after upgrading to TWS 921.5 (nov 23)
    fortunately I have my own backup and I am now on TWS 920.5 (Nov 7) again.

#44     Nov 30, 2011
  5. I had four charts (two 15sec, 1hour and 5min) up and running all day today and did not see any problems or slow performance. I added studies, lines, etc and it seemed to work fine. This was under Fedora and TWS v918 for reference.

#45     Nov 30, 2011
  6. Eight

Eight

I'm at arms length from TWS using Sierrachart chart trader as a front end. I'm paying for data [$65/month, no biggie] so I won't have to be exposed to IB any more than I have to.

There are features that SC won't implement seemingly because IB's API is known flakey. I'm happy though because the trading community at SC can run into problems before I do and SC's support is very responsive. They can fix things and have it released in a couple of days. I ask a lot of dumb questions on the support board just in hopes that I can catch something early and help everybody else at the same time...

#46     Jan 24, 2012
  7. Why doesn't IB show the exchange where the trade happened on the time and sales? At least in the version I'm running, the column settings for time and sales doesn't show which exchange (for stocks.)

This isn't a bug, just a nuisance. I like TWS overall, but there are small, one-off quirks like this that drive me nuts.

#47     Jan 27, 2012
  8. Option trader is much improved but one problem is when you click on an option price to trade you have to pull down the option chain to see the order under trading. Shouldn't the order display automatically?

#48     Jan 27, 2012
  9. The latest version(s) since about a week ago has an annoying new habit of highlighting every page within the current TWS when you click to it from another app. This results in a brief flickering of all TWS windows and a slight CPU hangup within whatever you're doing. Also the java menu/list will have weirdly random items selected, and it too sometimes hangs up or glitches when you're trying to select a specific java page.

Also (and this is not really a bug, but weak programming imho ...) the trendline tool on charts is practically unusable beyond a couple of lines, which is a joke for trying to do any kind of serious TA. You can't just draw a trendline from any point A to any point B, they have to be a certain (considerably large) distance away from any other line already drawn on the chart. What it constantly tries to do is select another TL in the vicinity, giving you only the grabber tool (looks like a hand) rather than the drawing tool (arrow). Functionality is very very crude. When I submitted a ticket about this issue the suggestion was to zoom in closer to get the necessary granularity. Unfortunately a TL needs to take into consideration the entire viewable trend, so zooming is not a good option, in addition to being time-consuming.

#49     Feb 2, 2012
  10. kostia00

kostia00 Interactive Brokers

Each specific new announcement is shown once: no need to check off "don't show again". If you see the same announcement over and over again, please let us know and we'll address it.

#50     Feb 3, 2012