Interactive Brokers: stop orders for stocks in extended hours

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by elitetradesman, Oct 29, 2012.

1. How do I set stop orders for U.S. stocks to be triggerred in the pre-market and after-hours market?

Thanks.

2. like I said, there's a little box you check to specify if the order is only good RTH

Hopefully, someone from ib (they are very good about walking you through simple things) will reply and tell you exactly how to do it.

But I am (when it comes to computers) about as dumb as it gets, and even I can figure out how to do it.

You're going to get burned big time if you let your stops be triggered after hours

There's a lot of people out there still betting on black swans

3. I tried that, but stops for stocks weren't triggerred in after-hours.

4. lindq

lindq

Why would you want to? Price movement and spreads in equities can be HUGE during those time periods, and can easily trigger a stop, putting you into a market sell order at the worst possible time.

5. I realize that, but I'll need stops in very unique situations.

6. yes, but what you don't realize is, when you get in that unique situation the price will still be horrible

bad enough you lost money guessing wrong

but why give them anymore on a bad spread?

7. sprstpd

sprstpd

Have you tried using stop-limits with a wide limit price? I think that is the only way you are going to be able to do stops in extended hours trading. I don't believe IB will let you do market orders during that time of day (could be wrong though).

8. NoDoji

NoDoji

You cannot use stops in extended hours trading with equities. Period. If you don't want to "work" an order via limits then don't trade in extended hours.