Interactive Brokers stop order not executed !

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by maxinger, Nov 13, 2018.

1. maxinger

maxinger

Be very careful when you use IB.

When I enter the order, I will attach bracket order with limit order and stop order.

Normally when price hit my stop order, position will be closed automatically 99% of the time.
    Last 2 months, during mid Asian session, I noticed that when price hit the stop order, the order was not executed !
    It happened 3 times already.
    I could close my position minutes later but by then, too late ! I suffered heavy loss ! Damn scary problem.

This got nothing to do with my IB settings or my internet disconnect problem.
    I will monitor for few more weeks and if problem persist, perhaps I will stop using it totally.

I don't see such problem with my other trading platforms.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  2. comagnum

comagnum

Check to make sure you have overfill protection disabled.

Overfill Protection: Dictates that only one order in the group will be routed to an exchange at a time. This completely removes the possibility of an overfill.

upload_2018-11-12_22-16-12.png

VPhantom and maxinger like this.
  3. maxinger

maxinger

mine is disabled.

perhaps problem was due to heavy traffic ( I doubt so as market was not crashing),
    someone doing some systems maintenance,
    system stability problem or whatever.

4. Visaria

Visaria

Contact them and ask why no fill.

VPhantom and d08 like this.
  5. I think I probably know what happened. You did not enable "allow order to run outside regular trading hours". This happened to me for futures exchange traded on U.S exchanges in Asian hours.

6. maxinger

maxinger

I allowed order to run outside RTH.

7. d08

d08

So what color did the order status remain?
    Not sure why you didn't contact them first about this.

VPhantom likes this.
  8. This happened to me once recently as well. Overfill protection disabled. It was a bracket order sent through the API with a target and stop. Stop price hit, during normal trading hours on a NYSE stock. I was looking at it go through in disbelief as my order was not executed and just resided there open, as if nothing was going on.

I actually left the position open while I called IB so I could prove it to them. They admitted that was not expected behavior and would get back to me....that was probably about two weeks ago and no updates since.

Lately I'm just hoping...

VPhantom and positive etc like this.
  9. d08

d08

IB never gets back to you generally. Out of 10 times they've said that, they've gotten back once or twice.
    You have to follow-up yourself with your ticket ID.

10. Totally agree. There is one guy on the trading desk who is pretty good and one guy in the API group I can usually count on. Besides that....ghost town

#10     Nov 13, 2018