Interactive Brokers - stop loss may be totally ignored during reset periods

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Fisher, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Fisher

Fisher

Hi Guys,

Anyone trades FX on IB? It is a great broker with low commissions. However, IB resets its servers regularly everyday during which the stop-loss of your open positions could be totally ignored.

Fx trading is with high leverage and volatility. Your whole account may blow up if a major issue happens during the reset periods (for example Swiss Franc shock in 2015 or major brexit announcement). I know other brokers restart servers as well, but some use backup servers to avoid leaving traders in outer space for some certain amount of time everyday.

Just wondering, from a FX trading perspective, if a trader will unnecessarily bear this risk every single day, is it still cost-justified to trade with IB?

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

2. Fisher

Fisher

Thanks a lot Obelixtrader, did you mean changing to another server to avoid the reset time of the servers?

3. you cant avoid it but for FX i think the ideal server is HongKong(hd1.ibllc.com) I use Ninjatrader 8 with IBGateway and when i have looked on log files i am disconnected from server 23:03 (central european time) for aprox. 1minute.Its quiet time

4. Fisher

Fisher

Probably I could change my server to the Hongkong one. Just wondering does the 1 min quiet time mean the server reset only took 1 min? As they told me over the phone that it takes 15 mins to reset everyday. By the way, why do you think the Hongkong server is better than the others? Thanks

5. between 23:00 to 00:00 central european time is very quiet time minimum fluctuationif you use only TWS the restart time for hd1 server was 23:45 (central european time) as i write before I use IB Gateway the reset time was 23:03 and i was reconnected back after 3 seconds not after 1 min maybe i need better glasses:D

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019